DOHC engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOHC engine removal

Hi guys i'm new on here i have a 94 gtp. my question is does anybody know if I can get this engine out from the top with an engine crane? I've been told that the best and/or only way is to drop the cradle. this is the way we have done these vehicles in past at various shops where i have worked. now I,m doing headgaskets and timing components so i figure i ought to freshen the bottom to avoid buying all the top end stuff again when my right foot holds 7000 too long for the old 200 000 k bottom. can i pull the engine with the heads? does the shortblock come out easy once the heads are off, can i pull it in one piece this is a home project with no access to hoists. also does anyone know an engine shop in toronto area who may do my shortblock out the back door? maybe any builders still working frequently with these engines. Any info will be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

I have seen it done out the top in one piece.. Not the easiest way but it is possible.. you do IIRC have to seporate the engine from the trans before it will come out. remove the hood as well to give you more upword clearance.
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

I removed and replaced my 3.4 complete, minus the intake straight out the top with no problems and I didn't remove the hood.
      To do that I just removed the support shocks and had the hood braced in a striaght up posistion.
      I did it that way because my hood had never been removed, all the gaps match great and I didn't want to waste time lining it up perfectly after, because I KNOW I would. I always have to have things just so, LOL.
      1991 Grand Prix STE
      3.4 DOHC
      1 of 792 Produced
      Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
      3.4 DOHC
      Getrag 284 5spd
      1 of 30
      Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X