Charching system I think ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charching system I think ?

Hello. First post here. I have a 1995 cutlass sl 3.4 dohc . Today the car seemed to have droped an altenator I think? Charged it for a bit with a boost on the side of the road. Made it back home . Voltage meter with the car running showed 10.5 volts , the alt. is screwed right? Funny part is the car never trew a charging light on the dash. It trew the abs and brake warning lights. Go figure? Any suggestions? Thanks for your time .

I think it's pretty safe to say the alternator is bad, that or a connection somewhere in the wire that goes to the battery. Check your battery cables to make sure they are tight, also check where the battery cable hooks to the starter (the wire from the alternator goes to the starter, then to the battery). Also try to see if your battery cables have been eaten up by corrosion under the boots where they hook to the battery. That will increase the resistance of the wire and give you problems.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Hi . Thanks for taking the time to reply. I left the car on trickel charge last night, this moring the batt voltage was 12.45 , I strated the car and the voltage slowly went up to 14.35 wich i thought was good. Funny part is the voltage took about 40 to 50 seconds to reach 14.35v . Went for a ride then into the garage, checked votage with all exes on high lights on , the reading was back to 12.45. Then I cleaned the aux booster post dissaembled all the wires cleaned and reassembled. Still only getting 12.35v with car running. BTW the battery is brand new and conections looked good when I changed it a few weeks ago. I will check the wiring let you know what I find . Will post tomorow. L8R.

Comment

If your battery voltage is going up when the car is running, then it seems like the alternator is working. What caused you to replace the battery?
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Voltage rising slowly like that makes sense as the battery recharges after starting the engine. 12.35 I would assume would be normal as well with everything on drawing on the battery and alternator. I would have swung by a parts store on that test drive and had them do a battery and charging system check. Just because a battery is new means it can't be bad. I've seen new batteries go bad- cheap parts will have that sometimes. Where did you buy it at and what brand is it?
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
            Just because a battery is new means it can't be bad. I've seen new batteries go bad
            That's kind of what I was hinting at, but having a reason why it was replaced may also lead to another cause.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Hello. Sorry for the delay. I got at the car today , Checked several things and it looks like the voltage regulator went bad. I load tested the fully charged battery, checked out ok. Still cant figure out why it never trew the charging system light on the dash. Tomorow moring gonna bring the old alternator in for a rebuild $100.00 not to bad. I'll let you know the outcome once it's installed. Thank again for your replys. L8R.

Comment

Originally posted by dan57775 View Post
                I left the car on trickel charge last night, this moring the batt voltage was 12.45
                Battery is about 3/4 charged.

Fully-charged battery will show 12.6--12.7 volts.

A battery at 12.25 volts is HALF-DEAD.
                ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Hello. Today I instelled the rebiult alternator ( I'd like to slap the guys that designed that setup!) Started up fine showing 14.75 volts awsome. Like to thank all the people that posted very helpfull. I think this is the end of this thread. Talk to you L8R. thanks again.

Comment

Good deal This is why I sprang for the AC Delco reman last time I had to buy one and got the lifetime warranty. So far my Delcos have outlasted the house brands.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                    X