Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91-93 lq1 into 94-95 car

Hey gang,

Getting ready to drop a 91-93 LQ1 into a 94 Cutty Supreme. What all needs to be changed over to make this work?

cam sensor's gonna be an issue.
    ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

if you install the 91-93 PCM at the same time as the 91-93 engine, it no longer becomes an issue.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Robert,

If we do the 91-93 ECM swap, is there anything else that needs to be done, or is just a matter of not plugging in the cam sensor and the secondary crank sensor?

What would happen if we changed the timing covers to the 94 cover so we had the secondary crank sensor. And then couldn't we just change the left valve cover to the 94 as well?

Comment

ideally, the easiest swap would be to grab the entire engine harness from the C100 outward from a 91-93 car and install it in a 94-95 car, MINIMAL repinning/wire swapping.

the 24X crank sensor is in the balancer and do the 91-93 cams have the positioning notch/pole in them already? if not, you would need that as well to run with the 94-95 PCM, otherwise, it will not like it at all.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
            ideally, the easiest swap would be to grab the entire engine harness from the C100 outward from a 91-93 car and install it in a 94-95 car, MINIMAL repinning/wire swapping.

the 24X crank sensor is in the balancer and do the 91-93 cams have the positioning notch/pole in them already? if not, you would need that as well to run with the 94-95 PCM, otherwise, it will not like it at all.
            So you would have to swap the balancer off the 94-95 engine onto the 91-93 as well. I've never ripped one of these engines down to know exactly what you're talking about on the positioning notch/pole. Just to be sure that I'm understanding what you're saying, you'd have to change the cams, along with the cam cover/carrier that actually holds the sensor, as the cam sensor will not pick up a signal off the 91-93 cams, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
              do the 91-93 cams have the positioning notch/pole in them already?
              No, only the ones that got the cam sensor had the tab on the cam, which was what, 94-97? Otherwise, the 94-95 ECM is going to throw a cam position sensor code. To get around it you would need to swap the cam carrier (and cam cover for the cam sensor notch) and at least the intake came from the 95 engine. I'm not sure if there was a difference in lobe profile between 91-93 cams and 94-95 cams, so if you do one you should probably do the rear intake cam as well to be safe.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by BumpRacerX.com View Post
                So you would have to swap the balancer off the 94-95 engine onto the 91-93 as well. I've never ripped one of these engines down to know exactly what you're talking about on the positioning notch/pole. Just to be sure that I'm understanding what you're saying, you'd have to change the cams, along with the cam cover/carrier that actually holds the sensor, as the cam sensor will not pick up a signal off the 91-93 cams, correct?
                Pretty much got it.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                X