VSS signal to a '91 - '93 ECM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSS signal to a '91 - '93 ECM

So I know the VSS signal controls the speedometer through the ECM. The VSS also tells the ECM when the wheels stop turning (at least on my 5-speed) allowing the engine speed to drop to idle. Does the ECM use the signal for anything else?

vehicle speed is used in a LOT of internal calculations....

the 4K PPM the ECM outputs from the VSS signal is also used for various modules, such as ABS, the DIC/DIS fuel economy calculations, cruise control....
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific. This motor is in a Fiero, so none of those you list affect me. Is the PPM count referenced for engine management, like spark timing or fuel delivery, etc?

Comment

well, depends what you're referring to, the VSS input or VSS output.

if you don't have anything that runs on the 4K PPM output from the ECM, then you don't need it connected anywhere.

the VSS input is used for a lot of calcultations though, fuel and spark related.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

The VSS sender in the transmission sends a signal to the ECM. Does the ECM use that signal to calculate for fuel and or spark values?

Comment

since you're running a 5 speed, there are a few less items that depend on it, but highway spark. AE fueling, idle fueling, CCP, DE fueling, DFCO, EGR, ESC, launch mode, idle spark, RDSC are all the ones i can think of off the top of my head that effect either spark or fuel based on vehicle speed input.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
            X