Break booster for 5 speed lumina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break booster for 5 speed lumina

Did the 92 use the same booster for the 5 speed as the auto did? Was wondering what one I need for my 284 swap? The one in my parts car is shot.
    Last edited by Dave96z34; 06-20-2011, 11:38 PM.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

From what anyone that's looked them up has come up with, any cars with the manual option had the same booster as the autos. There were also 2 or 3 or 4 (I don't remember exactly, lol) different boosters for 5 speed cars if you include the 282 88-90 GPs.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

So what are my options get one from the auto and cross my fingers its not bigger? or send myn off to get rebuilt?

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

I'm not sure if you can send them off to get rebuilt. They hardly ever go bad from my experience. As long as you get one from, say, a 91-93 Z34 you should be fine, no matter if you specify stick or auto. When I did the 5 speed swap in the 91, I never touched the booster and everything worked out fine.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
          I'm not sure if you can send them off to get rebuilt.
          Possible, not recommended due to added expense.

They hardly ever go bad from my experience.
          I think the problem with defective boosters is epidemic, based on the number of complaints of poor braking power on first-gen W bodies. BOTH of my Ws had defective boosters.

As long as you get one from, say, a 91-93 Z34 you should be fine, no matter if you specify stick or auto. When I did the 5 speed swap in the 91, I never touched the booster and everything worked out fine.
          Show up at any parts store and ask for a brake booster for your vehicle. I got mine at CarQuest, lifetime warranty and something like $150.

P/N 54-71286; $142.03 plus sales tax. That price includes the $12.86 core charge.
          Link includes pictures and procedures:

^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Lol, core charge... So they do rebuild them...

As for that thread, nice find on the booster. I guess I've been lucky and haven't run across a W with a bad booster. The 91 braked fine after changing over to Performance Frictions some years ago. The 92, well, it's got a different monster of a brake system and has no problem wanting to buck you through the front window... (I've had people comment that it felt like the rear tires were about to come off the ground before stopping from 100)
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Got a reman booster for a 93 z34 auto today is a perfect match to the one from the lumina 5 speed. Cost me 186$.....

Comment

Working...
              X