No announcement yet.

Air Control Valve Pic? 91 Z34 5 spd....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Control Valve Pic? 91 Z34 5 spd....

hi All; after a very protracted absence both from here and my project I am getting back at it.

I am well along in swapping in a 91 Z34 engine and 284 etc etc into my project car. The stock (underhood) vacuum diag shows a line going to the Air Control Valve (says at the front of the car).
    Can anyone identify this valve to me; a pic likely best so I can see if I actually have one or not.
    I have poured thru my various wiring diagrams to see if they identify it by wire colour but can't see it there.

Appreciate any help!!
    Thanks in advance!
    GP

I wander if that is the "AIR PUMP" its refering too. the 5spd cars have a air pump in the passanger fenderwell that pumps fresh air into the front exhaust manifold to help lower emissions. They also come standard with that in the 96-7 DOHC's.. If that is what it is refering too, you should be able to bypass that system and disable it in the ECU.

you can see here the pipe running to the front exhaust manifold.

S
    Last edited by RedZMonte; 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM.
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

97s don't have any air pump thankfully

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

interesting... i thought they did, i wonder why they did that..?
        Shane "RedZMonte"
        2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
        1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
        -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
        2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
        1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
        1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
        1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
        1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Thats the quick way to tell a 96 from a 97 is look for the air pump hole on the front header. If its there is a 96 if its 97 is a casting with no hole. The other 96 to 97 is that beautiful 4T65 . My gus is that gm no longer needed it so the got rid of it.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

thanks for the feedback; didn't know there was so much difference in the various years.
            I am going to try to attach the underhood photo of the vac hose routing; again this is 91-92 vintage so if someone can check their setup it would be helpful!
            Attached Files

Comment

Used to have a photo, but I don't seem to see it now. As shown in the photo above, there is a pipe visible on the top of the front exhaust manifold if your car has an A.I.R. system. If you see this pipe, just follow the hose attached to the end of it. The Pulsair valve is the part it leads to. Black plastic about 5" long with hoses and wires connected to it. I can't tell you exactly where it is because mine's on a Fiero.

If you take yours off I'd be interested in buying it.
              Last edited by sspeedstreet; 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks sspeedstreet; I'll dig thru my info again; don't recall seeing anything like that. Mine is going into a 'sort of fiero' too so I don't have one. It is a 5 spd which I think is part of the equation. Is yours 91-93 as well?

What have you done instead, assuming you are 91-93; ie how did you eliminate it?

Comment

I did mine for California emissions, so everything had to be stock. I started with a 1995 crate motor, but everything on it is from a 1992 5-speed car. I still don't know if the A.I.R. system functions; it should, but I've never heard it running. The smog ref just did a visual and moved on to other things. Those Pulsair units are hard to find, that's why I was asking.

Comment

Working...
                  X