RWD LQ1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWD LQ1?

Would it be possible to use the t5 and 3.4 pushrod clutch/flywheel on an lq1? Seems logical but I figured I'd ask. Also is there any documentation on lq1 into f-body swaps?

As far as bolting up, I think you are good, except the starter on the FWD engines is on the opposite side vs the RWD engines. You would also need to figure out custom engine mounts and oil pan. I know there was a guy years ago that put a DOHC in a Camaro but I have no clue how far he got with it. I saw pics of it in the car but that was the last I heard of his project. Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Oh your right.. Hmm that bums me out..

I did a little research and it looks like the newer 3.8/t5 fbodys had the starter on the correct side. But instead of using a fork style t/o bearing they used the all-in-one slave/bearing set up. I wonder what I could use for a clutch? 3.4 flywheel with 3.8 plate?

Comment

You know, you should check out superdave's camaro. He has a 3500 in it and mounting that in there would pretty much be the same as putting a DOHC in there as far as mounting and starter location goes. I was tired when made my last post and had shifted forgotten he had left the starter in the same spot and notched the bellhousing of his transmission to get around it.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Just looked up info on superdave and it looks like he is using an automatic. The t5 from a 3.8 seems like a good option, the only issue is that I would need to mix and match clutch parts or get a company to build me a custom one.

One thing I noticed.. Is the transmission going to be angled?
          bh-38f.JPG

Also I just noticed 95-97 3.8/t5 fbodys had a clutch fork and 98-02s had the all in one unit. So it's possible that a 95 3.8 bellhousing, fork and t/o bearing could work with a 3.4 clutch.
          Last edited by Gtp237; 05-13-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

yep, the T5 sits angled. that's normal.

I used a built 700R4 because the T5 is well known to be weak in several areas. The WC units are better but still have problems. Plus I couldn't find solid specs on it's max input RPM since I shift at 7K.

I believe the gen 1 oil pan will fit the gen 2 block, you shouldn't have problems there. Just double check the oil pickup height.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I found this bellhousing. It's supposed to be from 95-97 3800 f-body. It looks like you can mount it straight or angled. Is there any specific pros or cons to either mounting position?

Comment

That actually looks like it can be angled to one direction or angled to the other... odd...

Got Lope?
                3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I can tell the holes were never drilled and taped also that's a push type clutch

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

just out of curiosity, third or forth gen f-body?
                    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                      That actually looks like it can be angled to one direction or angled to the other... odd...
                      Right or Left hand drive?
                      sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
                      - Ben

Comment

You can mount a 3.4 TDC engine on a T-5, but you will have to use a 93-4 2.2 S-10 bell housing. It has the starter clearance on the FWD side. The shifter stalk would have to be modified to put the shifter back in the same place it started out in the F-body. The TDC does have the same mount points as the F-Body 2.8/3.1/3.4 engines, but they are covered up by the accessories (alternator and AC if I remember correctly). If you were to fab up new mount points for the accessories this could be overcome. It is a difficult swap, and I do not think that the intake will fit under the hood without modification. I would recommend using a 96-98 intake because it is reversible (so it will have the TB on the front of the engine).

Hope this helps
                        TDC 87 Fiero GT 5spd
                        03 VW GTI VR6 6spd
                        87 Pontiac TA GTA 409sbc
                        90 RX-7 convertable 383sbc 5 spd
                        79 Malibu 355sbc

Comment

Originally posted by gsnickle View Post
                          You can mount a 3.4 TDC engine on a T-5, but you will have to use a 93-4 2.2 S-10 bell housing. It has the starter clearance on the FWD side. The shifter stalk would have to be modified to put the shifter back in the same place it started out in the F-body. The TDC does have the same mount points as the F-Body 2.8/3.1/3.4 engines, but they are covered up by the accessories (alternator and AC if I remember correctly). If you were to fab up new mount points for the accessories this could be overcome. It is a difficult swap, and I do not think that the intake will fit under the hood without modification. I would recommend using a 96-98 intake because it is reversible (so it will have the TB on the front of the engine).

Hope this helps
                          If you flip flop the lim and remove the ps mount the earlier intakes will work too.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtp237 View Post
                            Would it be possible to use the t5 and 3.4 pushrod clutch/flywheel on an lq1? Seems logical but I figured I'd ask. Also is there any documentation on lq1 into f-body swaps?
                            LQ1.jpg
                            2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS (LX9-F23 swap soon!) Slowly acquiring parts!

Comment

I have seen that pic a few times over the years. Really wish someone would finish one
                              Links:
                              WOT-Tech.com
                              FaceBook
                              Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X