after market mufflers for my 3.4 dohc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after market mufflers for my 3.4 dohc

i was looking around the site and found a old thread , where some one said his car sounded like ( nasty metallic zingy rasp ) from the exhaust. that's what i totaly hate about my car i'm looking into changing the mufflers but which ones will get rid of the raspy sound ( freinds say i can hear you're tin cans comeing) i found on you tube some nice sounding ones i'm sounds fine sitting still it's when you take off it sounds like ass. any one hear have after market muffers with a sound clip takeing off. by the way my mufflers are rusty and need replaceing ( my dad thinks the cat has been howled out ) help a 3.4 dohc driver out.

Originally posted by joes95redz34 View Post
    i was looking around the site and found a old thread , where some one said his car sounded like ( nasty metallic zingy rasp ) from the exhaust. that's what i totaly hate about my car i'm looking into changing the mufflers but which ones will get rid of the raspy sound ( freinds say i can hear you're tin cans comeing) i found on you tube some nice sounding ones i'm sounds fine sitting still it's when you take off it sounds like ass. any one hear have after market muffers with a sound clip takeing off. by the way my mufflers are rusty and need replaceing ( my dad thinks the cat has been howled out ) help a 3.4 dohc driver out.
    First off to fight the tin can sound you need glasspacks to help dampen the vibration which is prone to run through the exhaust of these cars, the noise is most likely inside the muffler and glasspacks dampen this. Next you need a resonator in the system to alter the harmonics thats why gm put one there. On my 94 GTP I have 2.5 inch high flow cat (magnaflow) along with custom made ( me and another guy ) 2.5 inch cat back. i sourced a 2.5 inch resonator at performance improvements and put it in the stock location (be aware of the length) we also made a 2.5 inch Y pipe to lead to my 2.5 inch glasspacks with tips attached.MY CAR SOUNDS AWESOME she barks but no rattle or tinniness. my engine was rebuilt .030 over and heads shaved and wee cc'd the combustion chambers to raise compression this probably accounts for some of the bark)

Comment

I would imagine he found something after posting this over a year ago, but yeah, glasspacks do help. In fact, a lot of people use them as resonators. My car has one from the PO on the 2.25 mandrel exhaust right next to the gas tank (about a foot, maybe 15" long) and it doesn't have rasp that I remember. Just saying "my car sounds awesome" would really help if being backed up with a sound or video clip.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

You are right he probably did find something by now i guess i should look closer at the dates. and you have a point about a video unfortunately until now i never took the notion to record it i guess i will next chance i get.

Comment

Working...
        X