Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Cranks Slow when warm

Hello,

I just sold my Fiero with a 3.4 DOHC in it. The engine was from a 94 Cutlass I believe. Anyway, the engine was rebuilt probably 3k miles ago and had a little work done to it. Recently it started cranking slow only after it is warm and you try to restart it like when you are getting gas or something. When it is cold, it startts fine. Any ideas on what this could be?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

simply sounds like a worn out starter to me.

if you do end up replacing it, find one from the newest 3x00 you can, those ones are not only smaller and lighter, they also spin the engine a hell of a lot faster.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Another thing to check is your battery cables. If they are old and crusty (corroded inside), too long for the gauge used (if front mounted), or have inadequate connections then you will get this as well.

~sam

Comment

Originally posted by ncoop23 View Post
        Hello,

I just sold my Fiero with a 3.4 DOHC in it. The engine was from a 94 Cutlass I believe. Anyway, the engine was rebuilt probably 3k miles ago and had a little work done to it. Recently it started cranking slow only after it is warm and you try to restart it like when you are getting gas or something. When it is cold, it startts fine. Any ideas on what this could be?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
        You just sold it, and you're still trying to fix it???

What is open-circuit voltage of the battery? Better be 12.6--12.7 volts. 12.5 is 1/4 discharged. 12.25 is half-dead.

What is the voltage drop between battery + and starter?
        What is the voltage drop between starter and battery -?

What is the voltage at the battery WHILE CRANKING?
        ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Working...
        X