92 z34 3.4l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 z34 3.4l

I recently was driving my 1992 chevy lumina z34 with3.4l DOHC,I was doing 70 on the expressway when it went dead.I replaced the Crankshaft sensor,the car was running great before the sensor went out,now it refuses to start,just hitting occasionally,I also replaced all of the spark plugs.Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on? It is getting plenty of gas,just no spark,just on occasion,real bad backfiring also.
    thanks in advance.

What is the cranking compression?

Are the plugs fouled? Plug wires connected to the correct cylinders?

Will the spark jump the gap of an HEI spark tester? (the one on the left, about $12. There are other styles of spark testers, I haven't tried them.)

^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

how many miles is on the T-belt? sounds like it may be out of time.. if you pull a plug and leave it in the wire and set the plug on metal (i use the radiator support) does it spark? any check engine light codes? if yoiu dont have spark on all cyl's then i would suggest looking at the ignition control modual... they have gone bad occationally so its not unheard of. so you replaced the Crank sensor already and still no start? the crank sensor IIRC will not allow spark if it is bad or not working correctly. Hope this helps

S
      Shane "RedZMonte"
      2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
      1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
      -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
      2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
      1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
      1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
      1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
      1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

I would have to agree with Shane. Kinda sounds like the Timing belt when Kaploo-ee. Have someone give you a hand and try to crank it over with the cover off. The teeth might have sheared off on the lower gear. My last Z34 did the same thing, except I was only doing about 40 (gunned it trying to make a light).

Comment

Originally posted by project 92z View Post
          The teeth might have sheared off on the lower gear. My last Z34 did the same thing
          I've had the same exact thing happen on my 91 years ago, so this isn't really unheard of.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Ok,guys,thank you all for the replies! what originally happened was I was driving at 70 on the xway,the car died,found out it was the crankshaft sensor,to make a long story short,found out that the plugs had fouled,it blew the Ignition control module and it had blown a coil pack completely in half!Not to mention that the crankshaft senor was cracked too. This was an "Adventure" to be sure. "AND" not to say that my mechanic friend and I almost got into and real heated arguement over who was right when it came to the control module and the coil packs!!! But thanks for all the input!! I have used the site before,and it has been really informative and helpful!..so,in closing,I hope that what I have posted,will help someone in the future...I want to go back to the old muscle cars,at least "I" know what to fix on them!
            Many thanks again!!!!

Comment

Wow, that's nuts! Got pics of the pack? That would be neat to see.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I have to agree as well, that would be really neat to see

Swyped from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                1992 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
                94' DOHC/4T60-E swapped
                94' Cutlass Supreme dash swapped

Comment

IMG_0897.JPGNope,I threw it out before I thought about taking pic,sorry...but it was cracked right down the middle with melted plastic comming out of it..
                  BTW,here are some pix of the car
                  IMG_0896.JPG
                  Last edited by Gunboat; 06-29-2012, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X