Many Problems---Please HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Problems---Please HELP!!!

I'm Having some problems that somebody may be able to help me with. I've got a 93 Z34 that I'm trying to get on the road. My 99 Lumina is rapidly dying of cancer/rust. The rear suspension is pretty much just flopping around,,, NOT good.. I NEED another car,,, quick!!

Back to the 93 Z34. A little history.. The car has been pretty much just sitting for around 10 years. During this time I put in a motor (59,000 miles) and a rebuilt tranmission (4T60E).. Everything was working fine and the car ran great. Along the way water got into the car, probably through the passenger door seal. There was a couple of inches of water on the floor and it has never totally dried out. Don't know if this is contributing to my problems but, felt I should mention it. The car got covered and sat some more..

About two weeks ago I dug the car out and got it running.. After fixing a few small problems, mostly electrical, like turn signals. The car was running pretty good. Last Wed went to DMV (was there 6 hours.. They close at 5. Didn't get out of there till 7:30.. 6 hours!! MY FAVORITE PLACE!!). On Sat I took it to get an alignment. On the way home It got hot, need to track down a small coolant leak. Then it started throwing codes and idling high.. Then the tranny started to slip when taking off from a stop,, pretty sure all the other gears were working... When I checked the ATF it was low, didn't show on the dipstick. 1.5 to 2 qts over filled it somewhat.. The codes I got were: 24--VS Sensor..... 35--Idle speed error..... 53--System Over-Voltage...

At this point I have cleaned the IAC valve,, no change.. Then I replaced it with a new one and reset the IAC (5 seconds key ON---10 seconds key off and then sart the engine,,, no change, although once in awhile it will idle fairly good, not perfect but, OK.. After clearing the codes (pulling ECM fuse under the hood) I still get the 35 and 53 codes. I checked the modulator and the hose was all rotted and disconnected.. Replaced that with a new hose. No 24--Vs Sensor code, but haven't driven it other than backing out of the driveway and putting it in gear,,, still slips... I'm sure that if I drove it the code 24 would get thrown again... Don't want to do that until I get the idle problem sorted out...

So, that's where I'm at right now.. Does anyone think the ECM took a dump?? It seems funny that everything happened at the same time. I can't believe I fried the tranny by being less than 2 qts low. It's only got about 500-1,000 miles on it.. I've read about people with lower levels of ATF bouncing off the rev limiter to get the car moving.. I babied it home.. I don't want to just throw parts at it and hope for a fix.. If I could get the idle under control it might fix the high voltage issue.. The next step would be the TPS, I read that this could effect the VS Sensor and the idle.. Anyone have any suggestions??? I really need to get this fixed ASAPINS (as soon as possible, if not sooner!!), The 99 is NOT safe and I'm in NO mood to die!! NOT YET anyhow!!

That's about all I can think of right now..
    ANY suggestions would be VERY welcome!!
    ThanxXx,,,
    Tom...

Most of the problems I've had with a TPS lead to a 1,500-2,000rpm idle. How high is you idle?
    95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
    High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
    Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Right about there!!

Comment

Well at least we know the TPS is bad. 3400-Mod may be able to help with the trans problems.

Comment

Well, I'd have to test it (TPS) to be sure. Just seemed funny that it all happened at once!! And there is no TPS codes being thrown.. Not that that means a whole lot...
          I've already PMd Jon, 3400-Modified.. He lives fairly close to me also, less than 1/2 hour ride.... Hopefully he can help with the tranny. Hopefully it doesn't need major work, like I said it's a rebuilt with less than 1,000 miles on it... I do have the old/blown tranny that was in it that I would probably rebuild if need be...
          Thanks for replying,,,
          Tom...

Comment

I never had a code when mine went bad. I've lost two and had a wiring problem on another(90% broken at the connector).
            Man are you lucky. I'd be happy just living a state away from him!

Comment

being a LQ1, high idle could very easily be caused by UIM or LIM gaskets.
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I would bet on LIM gaskets, too.

How is the power assist on the brakes? If the LIM gaskets are bad it won't build much vacuum. When they went bad on the 91 I had to stand on the brake pedal to stop 1. from the high idle, and 2. low vacuum for assist (and we all know w body brakes in stock form suck to begin with).

You could either get a propane torch and wave the propane around gasket surfaces (don't ignite the flame) and see if the idle changes over a certain spot. If it does, you just found a leak. You could also let it idle a bit and see if the idle dies down once it warms up if the gaskets aren't too gone. When mine started doing it if I let it sit and idle the warmth would make the thick rubber seal on the gaskets swell enough to make a seal again and the car acted fine again until the engine cooled off, then it was back to standing on the pedal to stop once it warmed up again.

Hope this helps, Walter.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Brakes seem OK... Need some cleaning and caliper lube after sitting,,, no loss of pedal or braking power as far as I can tell.. Warming it up doesn't change anything... Forgot to mention but, I did spray all the vac lines and LIM and injectors with carb cleaner and couldn't find anything... I guess I could check it with propane tomorrow... I know all about the high idle when cold... In below zero weather it nearly killed the old engine.. I'm fairly certain it's not a vac leak of any kind at this point... I have been wrong before tho.. Just got back from a trip across the state. I stopped off at my storage area and got a TPS and another IAC Valve off of the old engine that came out of the car..
                  The thing is DMV only gave me a 10 day temp so I could get the emissions done... That runs out tomorrow,seeing that DMV is closed Sun and Mon I've got till Tues to get it done... I don't know about that!! And my 99 is real sick... The rear suspension is slamming around big time.. Real worried about that!! Well, hopefully the TPS will help things out... I read that The TPS works closely with the VSS... Well miracles do happen...
                  Thanks for replying,,,
                  Tom...
                  No word from Jon, 3400-modified yet...
                  Last edited by walterdude; 05-18-2013, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Brakes seem OK... Need some cleaning and caliper lube after sitting,,, no loss of pedal or braking power as far as I can tell.. Forgot to mention but, I did spray all the vac lines and LIM and injectors with carb cleaner... I guess I could check it with propane tomorrow... I know all about the high idle when cold... In below zero weather it nearly killed the old engine.. I'm fairly certain it's not a vac leak of any kind at this point... I have been wrong before tho.. Just got back from a trip across the state. I stopped off at my storage area and got a TPS and another IAC Valve off of the old engine that came out of the car..
                    The thing is DMV only gave me a 10 day temp so I could get the emissions done... That runs out tomorrow,seeing that DMV is closed Sun and Mon I've got till Tues to get it done... I don't know about that!! And my 99 is real sick... The rear suspension is slamming around big time.. Real worried about that!! Well, hopefully the TPS will help things out... I read that The TPS works closely with the VSS... Well miracles do happen...
                    Thanks for replying,,,
                    Tom...

Comment

I'm confident in your diagnostic and wrenching skills. You said you checked for a vac leak so I'm now ruling out the LIM gaskets myself, though how well we're you able to get the rear gasket? I hope the TPS solves it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Silly me, but did you take a good look at your grounds inside the car? You mentioned that you had some sitting water. There are a few grounding screws located under the seats. Sitting water that dries up plus current equals corrosion and crazy faults. try the simple stuff first...

Comment

Working...
                        X