Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring my engine bay while the dohc is out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring my engine bay while the dohc is out.

Well I ended up blowing my trans a few weeks ago being a dumbass and doing reverse donuts. Since then, I've gotten the motor and trans out, and have been re doing everything while the trans is off being rebuilt. I've been sandblasting, powerwashing, and painting almost everything inside the engine bay. I spent about 3 hours yesterday cleaning everything up and prepping for paint, and today I finally sprayed it all. I used some rustoleum semi gloss black paint/primer (4 bucks a can) and the results have been pretty good. All in all it has a nice shine to it that I hope will last, but I wanna hear what you guys think. Any questions, comments, or ideas are appreciated

IMAG0316.jpgIMAG0315.jpgIMAG0319.jpgIMAG0318.jpgIMAG0317.jpg
    -1997 Monte Carlo Z34. 1997 LQ1 with 95 cams, paired with a freshly rebuilt 4t65e. Still working out a few problems but its good to have it back after 4 months!

sigpic

looks good in the pics
    95 Z26 3400/OBDII/GETRAG

Comment

If you didn't scuff the paint that was already down or use a tar/wax/silicone remover before painting I hope the new paint doesn't start flaking off.

I'm repainting my engine bay soon and I'm not taking any chances. I did a lot of the work on the outside of my car (not quite half, more like 40% before actual paint) last spring before repainting it and like you I don't want to have the bay looking all nasty when done. I'm going the extra mile like filing rough spots on spot welds and scuffing everything really good to give the new paint something to bite into when I lay it down.

Side note, sand blasters rock
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
        Side note, sand blasters rock
        This is very true! I ended up taking 3 hours up at my high school shop sandblasting two strut tower to core support braces, those little plates that stiffen the strut tower,my front cam cover (which was a pain in the ass in a half) and my dogbone mount brace/plate/whateverthehellyouwannacallit. Lol. I did scuff the paint using some 3m metal sandpaper. I had a process going here. Once I got the engine out, I bagged things like fuel lines, ps lines, and my vacuum booster and evap lines. I then took the computer out then powerwashed the first time. Didn't do much degreasing but it was getting there. While I was in there I flushed out the heater core and radiator, then starting stripping the bay down more. I pulled the wiring harness out, removed the headlights, ac lines, radiator, condensor, then powerwashed it all again. I'd then started to sand it all down I even went around with my BFH finding out what was solid and what wasn't. I have a big ass hole under my computer box that I really need to patch, but don't have the time nor the tools to fix it yet. After sanding it all down, I powerwashed it one final time, then, after it dried I hit it with rustoleum semi gloss paint/primer, I ended up using about 4 cans. Anyways, now that that is done, my next project is restoring the wiring harness. Its greasy and nasty as hell, so I'm cleaning it up and retaping it. When thats done, all I have to do is figure out how I want to paint the motor. Its gonna be red and black to match the car, but I just can't figure out how its gonna go. The cam covers are black, maybe red plenum, black intake, red heads and cam carriers then black block? What do you guys think?

Oh, and while I'm posting, I figure I might as well show you guys a before picture. This is right after I got the motor out, its kindof a low quality picture though, I was took excited to get the motor on the stand haha.

IMAG0297.jpg
        -1997 Monte Carlo Z34. 1997 LQ1 with 95 cams, paired with a freshly rebuilt 4t65e. Still working out a few problems but its good to have it back after 4 months!

sigpic

Comment

A temp fix for the hole could be as simple as gluing a piece of sheet metal over the hole with silicone.

I bet the powder coat on the valve covers sucked to remove. Know what would look good on them though? Red in the recessed center area and black on the raised top and bottom area.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
            A temp fix for the hole could be as simple as gluing a piece of sheet metal over the hole with silicone.

I bet the powder coat on the valve covers sucked to remove. Know what would look good on them though? Red in the recessed center area and black on the raised top and bottom area.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
            That powder coat sucked! I think I worked on that cam cover for over an hour. It was a pain getting in all the little nooks and recessed areas on there. That paint scheme would look good for sure. There's a guy over on wbody forum I think who has a DOHC painted like that, except his is red and white. It looks pretty sweet though, haha. I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick with red or not. I plan on repainting the car eventually and I was thinking about going with patriot blue metallic. Its a dodge color that my dads ram is painted with and it looks sexy as hell. Either that or some kind of metallic orange color mixed with some flat black on the chin spoiler and wheels, now that would look sweet. I think I'm getting a bit ahead of myself though, lol.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry for the double post, just got a quick update. Anyways, I got my coil pack relocated. The best part is, it still clears my strut tower to core support brace!

IMAG0323.jpgIMAG0320.jpg
              Last edited by farley463; 05-20-2013, 01:31 AM.

sigpic

Comment

You may have to extend the CPS wire with it there. If you do, be sure to twist it like stock or else it will pick up interference and run like crap.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Yep, that's what I was planning on doing. I'm gonna get a couple feet of 18ga and lengthen it. For the back wires I plan on getting another plug wire set and using the front plug wires only since they are longer. I tried to make longer wires by installing some old small block chevy wires into the DOHC boots, but that wouldn't work without cutting the boot in half, so I scrapped that idea.

sigpic

Comment

Looks good
                    2004 Pontiac GTP 3.8 SC
                    1997 Pontiac GTP 3.8 SC
                    1996 Pontiac GTP 3.4 DOHC
                    1990 Pontiac TSTE (x2) 3.1 Turbo
                    1990 Pontiac TGP 5Speed

Comment

Originally posted by GPChief View Post
                      Looks good

Seriously?