RWD DOHC notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWD DOHC notes

so I'd been thinking about this for the past couple of days... I looked at this thread, but it didn't really go anywhere

so now, I figured we could start with an outline of the problems, I would like to do it into a Third Gen Camaro, or an S-10

problems:

motor mounts

accessory drive

intake manifolds

exhaust manifolds.

I don't really see any other problems, and those problems(except the accessory drive) to me sound pretty easy to overcome.

does the TDC use the same motor mount bosses that the RWD 60V6's use?

Any thoughts?
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

im surprised no one has actually done this... and i thought the passenger side motor mount will bolt up, people put lq1s in cars that had a pushrod engine in it, so i would imagine they use the same mounts. i could be wrong though. only encounter i had with a dohc was when i had to add oil to a z34. never really looked one over.
    Firebird: The beta version
    sigpic

Comment

Fwd/transverse mounts have different locations than RWD.

I imagine you would need custom accessory brackets and I'm not sure if anyone has tried flipping the intakes 180* for a longitudinal mount scheme. You'd probably have to buy one and find out. You're stuck with the FWD timing cover since it's unique to that engine.
      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

oh.. well the intakes can be flipped on a 96-97. and whats wrong with the timing cover? (i feel like this is a stupid question but i dont know :P)
        sigpic

Comment

If you look at the accessory brackets it puts the power steering pump right where the intake would be if it were flipped. I don't know if the power steering bracket is integrated into the timing cover like it is on the pushrod motors.
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

damn i read about this on here somewhere, i think the dude made a spacer for the intake or something like that. im pretty sure they found a way to do it.
            sigpic

Comment

with the 96-97 setup, might be able to get away with a custom TB arm only? i can't find that many good pics for reference, but the TB port on the intake should come out above the driver's side head.

with it in normal orientation, comes out just over the rear head.

1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

in all reality, do you think you could pull off a 3.4 dohc powered thirdgen?

edit: without spending loads of cheeze?
                sigpic

Comment

It's probably possible... Hard to say without all the parts on hand. I'm sure there's a reason all RWD swaps seem to get abandoned I just would like to know what it is.
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

i am thinking the exact same thing. it would be nice if someone who abandoned their started project would just post their barrier, unless its just the lack of tools or money or something. i think it would be cool to do it just because no one else has, well someone might have but it hast been posted anywhere.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftDrift View Post
                      in all reality, do you think you could pull off a 3.4 dohc powered thirdgen?

edit: without spending loads of cheeze?
                      Anything is possible with a bit of time and of course cash haha.

DSC00622.jpg

CF0wk.jpg

Looks great in a F body though!
                      2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS (LX9-F23 swap soon!) Slowly acquiring parts!

Comment

RWD DOHC notes

In that last pic it says "hits firewall" "blocks heater core", and "no room for wiper motor". I'm assuming that's attached to a transmission in stock location but hard to tell anything other than that. Or maybe that's just where the stock oil pan clears the k-member.

Then again it looks to be about the right place for a V6 to fit.
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                          In that last pic it says "hits firewall" "blocks heater core", and "no room for wiper motor". I'm assuming that's attached to a transmission in stock location but hard to tell anything other than that. Or maybe that's just where the stock oil pan clears the k-member.

Then again it looks to be about the right place for a V6 to fit.
                          Yea I'm sure you could do a bit of modification though, The big deal is the intake and power steering pump. Is it possible to use a 96/97 intake but swap the UIM around only? There's no room for the thermostat housing without cutting the power steering bracket. Hard to tell by pictures, Wish I had one laying around to experiment on

DSC04659.jpgEngine34.jpg
                          2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS (LX9-F23 swap soon!) Slowly acquiring parts!

Comment

The upper doesn't look reversible just looking at the bolt hole locations.
                            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I think the lower is flippable. And can the tranny be moved forward? Someone told me that the engine and tranny can be moved closer to the radiator.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X