3.6L Strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.6L Strength

Okay, so I was reading up on the 3.6L last night when I came across a bit that said it has forged aluminum pistons. Alrighty then, so it's got an aluminum block and heads. Forged steel crank. Forged steel connecting rods. Forged steel camshafts. Forged aluminum pistons. Just about the only thing that isn't either aluminum or forged on this engine is the exhaust manifold, which is "high-silicon moly cast iron," whatever the hell that means. Not to mention the weight this thing probably doesn't have.

Man, they weren't kidding when they said they designed this engine family from the outset (engine program for this family began in 1999 as a blank-sheet-of-paper new design) to also be boostable, specifically turbo.

Slap a turbo on your CTS / SRX / Rendezvous Ultra and call it a day hmmm?

Any estimates on how much power we'll be able to boost out of this thing in stock form considering the details in the first paragraph?

Car insurance is legal discrimination

Anybody have links to pics of the bottom end?

Either way, way way way more boost then a 1-3rd gen 60v6 will take.

Comment

What's the stock compression ratio in that badass beast-motor?

Comment

As applied thus far, 10.2 : 1.

Comment

Oh, and go here to read EVERYTHING about this motor. From a GM site.

Comment

The deep-skirt engine block further limits vibration, and it?s complemented by copper-infused, sintered steel main bearing caps with premium six-bolt attachment
            full floating 24-mm wristpins
            connecting rods are manufactured of sinter-forged steel
            I'm in love.

The 3800 block is known to hold 500-600hp because of a deep skirt 2 bolt main + 2 crossbolts. This 3.6 is a 4 bolt main + 2 crossbolts. Add to that a steel crank and forged pistons, this thing has some huge potential.

Comment

Hell yeah it does. In the info about this engine family, they say the power is going to start at 200hp and torque (approximately) and top out at 370hp and 350lb ft. They didn't say which engine it was that they had planned for that 370hp/350tq number, but I would think it'd be the 3.6L. But it could of course be a 3.8L or even 4.0L, since they said those displacements were possible and planned for (the range will also include a 2.8L and 3.2L). Add that to the fact that it was designed from day 1 to accomodate all drive types: FWD, RWD, and both kinds of AWD with an absolute minimum of machining. Find one of the FWD applications when someday they come out, grab a turbo, drop into a W-body and let it go.

Almost feels like cheating or taking the easy way out I mean, really, unless you plan on funny car racing, what more do you need to do, considering the completely forged nature of the engine?

Comment

the FWD application for the 3.6 DOHC is already out... It's in the 2004 Buick Rendezvous Ultra...

Cliff Scott
                89 BerettaGT
                89 Volvo740
                Cliff Scott
                89 BerettaGT
                04 AleroGX

Comment

I should have known that. . . . .but since I really don't give a damn about that vehicle I didn't care to look into it. It should have been obvious though, since it's platform mates with the Aztek, which is FWD.

Anyways, there we go, FWD 3.6L version. Wait for a wrecked Rendezvous Ultra to show up somewhere, then go snag the engine and computer and play with it. w00t. :mrgreen:

Comment

I think that would be the perfect engine swap for my 2.8L Grand Prix. From the very smallest 660 to the most powerful.. I think I would drive the car until I die from exhaustion
                    And I'm sure that would also blow the pan and guts clean out of my 4T60 :P

Comment

Or a Fiero, Citation, or Chevette would work wonders from a twin turbo setup! Call me crazy for the Chevette, but it's less then 2000 lbs and RWD
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

guess what, I found a chevette for 75 bucks....
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Go for it Benny.

Comment

Hell yeah, grab that 3.6L, slap a couple turbos @ 20 psi and let er rip! :mrgreen:

Comment

haha, i dunno what it looks like but I guess its rusty, the interior sucks, and no engine. hehe, but the price is right!
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X