Taking a beating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a beating

I was wondering if the LQ1's can take/handle a beating? Can they tolerate wot and live or will they blow up into a million pieces? I usually baby mine around (its my first LQ1 and it makes me kind of nervous, love it so far though), but today I stomped on it because some guy wouldn't let me over on the freeway. That brought me to this question ha

even with a neglected engine and perfectly maintained(and unmodified) trans, i'd say you're more likely to lose a 4T60E than the LQ1.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Can't think of many failures. Problems are usually related to the timing belt not being changed and breaking or the somewhat heavy clutch in the Getrag 284 wearing out the thrust bearing in the engine. Or the fools that never change the oil. As long as you don't be stupid its a fairly reliable engine.

Comment

I ran mine to the upper end of the spectrum (6-7k) frequently and it ran just fine until the day I took the engine out of the car to paint the engine bay.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Did hear one incident where there were cracked lifters, but it took an overrev to 9k or so to do it. .....Come to think of it, these are pretty solid motors.

Comment

I think piston slap and exhaust valves are the real problem-children. Neither issue is specifically caused by WFO operation, although that may make things worse.

I have a suspicion that there is a soft-spot in the cylinder head casting between cylinders 1 and 3, and between 4 and 6. This causes head gasket failure. No confirmation that this isn't an isolated (to two heads on one engine) incident...yet.

Both my 3.4s knock like mad; the '93 and the spare set of cylinder heads I bought for parts had exhaust valves that looked terrible.

^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Working...
            X