Polished Engine Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished Engine Parts

As everyone knows, the first gen lq1 doesn't have much after market support and we, as owners, have to do a lot on our own. I've been working on this for the last 2 months and proud to show off my plenum and front valve cover...
    Attached Files

Looks awesome! Nice job..wish I had the time to do that...lol

Comment

Extra bonus to doing that, I found an old problem' s solution. I use to get check engine lite only when exiting the highway but it would disappear when I'd kill the engine. Everyone said it was the egr or stove pipe was clogged. Turns out the PLENUM was clogged under the egr. Can't wait to get it back on! Might wait till the spring and start of car show season though.

Comment

you have an estimate on how many hours those took(and what was done by hand vs power)?

the plenum being plugged isn't surprising.... is the path in the intake as bad as the 3x00 ports? I seem to remember seeing a "kink" in those.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I didn't really keep track of actual hours but would estimate at least 100. I used a palm sander a lot on the valve cover but only up to 220 grit then did 320, 400, 600, & 1000 by hand. Then used a buffing wheel on a drill. Also Idk much about the 3x00 motor but on this plenum, it snakes around. I had to go under a lip where the egr sits, up about 1.25", over 1" then down a half. With hardened carbon attached to a ruff surface it wasn't easy at all. I soaked it 20th PB Blaster, picked at it with a cable tie and welding wire, air pressure then repeat again and again. Pain in the A$$!!!

Comment

Looks great & I admire the work you put into it!

However, I just paid a guy $200 and he polished my LX9 valve covers and UIM. No way was I going to work for $2/hour!

Comment

Yeah, hindsight. Plus it's something to be said about diy. I had seen it done on YouTube and figured I could do that. Next spring when I swap out my rims, I might do them too but at $65 a rim, who knows, prob just powder coat them chrome

Comment

Originally posted by project 92z View Post
                I didn't really keep track of actual hours but would estimate at least 100.
                You need a girlfriend.
                ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Working...
                X