skipped timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skipped timing belt

hi, i have 93 olds cut sup with 3.4L dohc and driving home the other day while trying to speed up, lost all power but the car would still go but took time to speed up. they tell me the timing belt skipped and are unsure of any other damage this may have caused.
    so, before i give the go ahead to fix it, what are the chances of any other damage. thxs

93 is a non interface motor, so there will be no damage..put a new belt on and it will be fine...only 96 and 97 3.4s are interface motors..

Comment

Originally posted by tsilney View Post
      93 is a non interface motor, so there will be no damage..put a new belt on and it will be fine...only 96 and 97 3.4s are interface motors..
      ok, i took the covers off and found the belt shreaded with only half the width. i have ordered the complete kit and water pump. i have seen a couple videos but is it that easy to just put the belt on and not screw up the timing. hard to figure out what knocks people are talking about. do you know of a good video that would help?

Comment

Check out the sticky note in DOHC Maintenance. Also you will need to get the correct tools to hold cams in place and loosen sprocket bolt. Do yourself a favor and be sure to change the actuator out.

Comment

Originally posted by vcrvi View Post
          Check out the sticky note in DOHC Maintenance. Also you will need to get the correct tools to hold cams in place and loosen sprocket bolt. Do yourself a favor and be sure to change the actuator out.
          It's possible to swap the belt without the tool. But the tool is helpful if you can get your hands on one.

Comment

E-bay $24.00 Kent Moore J-38614 . Made the cam hold down with info found on this site.http://60degreev6.com/content.php/25...old-down-tools

Comment

thanks for the link. i just make the hold down brackets with bare stock. so onto the next question. i found this information on another thread.

"""The right way to do it requires removing the lock rings from the cam gears so the gears can spin independently from the camshafts. Mount the belt and all components and then spin the crank to seat everything. Then put the motor at TDC and lock the cams down with the hold down tools.

So at this point the belt is on, seated, crank is at TDC and the cam flats are locked. Now reinstall the lock rings on one bank, doesn't matter which. Torque to spec. Remove the hold down tool from just that bank. Spin the motor 360 clockwise. You should be back at TDC and the cam flats on the bank you secured should now be face down. Install the lock rings on the other bank, torque and remove hold down tool. Consider your motor timed.""""

anyone know of another thread where it tells you how to remove the locking rings? do i need another tools to do this? i think i am almost there. thanks

Comment

The service manual will have the complete procedure, along with the part numbers of the special tools.
                ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

well after following numerous pieces of advice from a couple sources, it worked and started up first time. have onesmall vacuum line to sort out still but it was great to take it for a spin. here's to many more km's!!

Comment

Working...
                  X