First Gen 3.4l VIN X Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Gen 3.4l VIN X Wanted

I'm gonna post in the Sell/Buy section too but for the sake of highest visibility... A lil background, I own a 92 Z34 that I sent off for paint in May 2014, over a year ago. It was never returned. I found a 91 that I paid $900 for. it had a bad miss and thinking it just needed a good tune up, I was happy. Well, turns out there was a dead cylinder (#2). The plug had been drilled out and rethreaded with an oversized insert. This was prob done with the head still installed and shaving scored the cylinder or the drill hit the piston. In either case, a good used motor is prob best option. Anyone out there with a solid lead? Don't wanna turn this into a money pit but a 3800 swap is also a option. Those are a lot more avail. I got 2 2001 SSEIs in the local yard but how easy/cheap is that?

For fukk sakes, DON'T tell us where you live. It wouldn't be any fun unless we had no idea who would be near you that might have something you were interested in.
    ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

SORRRREEEE! I'm just outside Chicago. I'm willing to do some traveling but don't want transporting it to turn into more than the engine

Comment

I can't help you. There's two LQ1s sitting on the pavement of my driveway 'cause I have no place to store them. I'd be happy to sell one--or both. But since you took all the fun out of this, I now know that I'm about a 12-hour drive (one-way) away from you. I'm kinda guessing that a hundred-dollar engine isn't worth the extended road trip.
        ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Shurkey Idk how much you're asking or how much shipping might be but I'm willing to do some investigating. So far the best I've found was a $800 jy motor. My issue there is it's coming from KY and not from anyone who may know anything about them. I know you do and that should translate into a better option. The jy might show up and need gaskets, tbelt, have bent our burn valves, etc.

Comment

I bought mine from a salvage yard near here. Been sitting in my driveway for longer than I want to think about. I haven't rotated the cranks for awhile.

$100 for either one, plus your old engine. Come get it, I'm not shipping.

Comment

I hadn't read your reply til now so here you go.... For fukks sake, DON'T tell us where you live! It wouldn't be any fun unless we had no idea where I'm trying to get the motor from. About a 12 hour radius could be anywhere

Comment

I found this on Car-Part.com:

1992 Pontiac Grand Prix
                17659 miles
                3.4 DOHC engine

Call for price

State Line Auto Parts
                Rockford, IL USA
                815-965-2612

Comment

Originally posted by project 92z View Post
                  I hadn't read your reply til now so here you go.... For fukks sake, DON'T tell us where you live! It wouldn't be any fun unless we had no idea where I'm trying to get the motor from. About a 12 hour radius could be anywhere
                  If you're actually serious about such a journey, PM me for photos and location.

OTOH, there's this...

Comment

Alright, question for the gurus out there. I know there's differences between the 91-93 and the 94+ DOHC engine but how hard is the swap? Can extra sensors be bypassed, wire harness easily be 'reworked and the transmission still works?

Comment

something like those? swap on the parts they don't have from your original engine and drop it in. the additional sensors that a 94-95 PCM used just won't be hooked up to your 91-93 PCM. since no real wiring is included, you don't have to convert the SFI injector harness to MPFI or anything crazy like that.
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Ok, if I'm understanding you correctly, I'm pretty much swapping the air cleaner hose and ignoring all the other sensors. I think the 94 had relocated the coils too. Will that be a problem? Anything else? I wanna know what I'm getting in to. Plus didn't the 94 lose some go out was that in the trans gearing?

Comment

Also, the plenum is a 2 part with the throttle body being bolted on. Will that make a difference?

Comment

94-95 have the same coil/ICM location, and the same intake/TB as 91-93. the 96-97 relocated the coils and got the separate TB/upper intake.

a 94+ transmission is a bit different, but I assumed you would keep your original one and just swap engines. if you wanted to run the 94+ transmission, then things get tricky.
                            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                            Latest nAst1 files here!
                            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Or consider the newer engine to be a "long block", and you install your existing intake manifold and coil packs and such to make it equivalent to the engine you have. Yes, the additional sensor(s) just don't get connected to the wiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X