Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a plan. Thanks guys!

Comment

OK. I've started the swap and its been hell, no where nearly as easy as I expected. The list of things to move over was larger than I expected. First off, the valve covers are different and the new gasket doesn't fit right (can sensor). Then the alternator- I had to swap the timing belt front face, which meant finding the gasket set. Thanks rock auto! Now my question. Any one know what the correct name for the oil cooler thingy that the oil filter screws onto. Its on the 91 but not the 94/95. I gotta move it over and can't find the gasket.
      Last edited by project 92z; 06-01-2015, 09:28 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

OK, she's up and running! Basically the only thing I used off the new motor was the block, heads and cams. Everything else was swapped over. I am so happy that I'm on the road! I do need you guys help. I got no codes or check engine light but I do have the LOW COOLANT light. It only comes on after the car has ran and warmed up. Sensor has to be OK cause a) worked before the swap and b) it works when the car first starts. We pressure tested the system, no leaks. Radiator and reservoir are both full. Any suggestions? I tried to burb it, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
        Oh yeah, one other issue I'm not understanding- it's hard starting after it's warmed up. It'll crank like the battery is weak. I've let the car run for almost an hour. No signs of a weakening battery. Can't really verify the starter but that's the only thing I'm coming up with. Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by project 92z View Post
          OK, she's up and running!
          Excellent.

Basically the only thing I used off the new motor was the block, heads and cams. Everything else was swapped over.
          Yep, used the new engine as if it was a long-block.

I do have the LOW COOLANT light. It only comes on after the car has ran and warmed up. Sensor has to be OK cause a) worked before the swap and b) it works when the car first starts. We pressure tested the system, no leaks. Radiator and reservoir are both full. Any suggestions? I tried to burb it, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
          My "low coolant" light was on for weeks if not months. Eventually it fixed itself. I think sometimes trash in the cooling system--a rust flake or something--gets caught in the sensor causing a false low reading.

Why yours is temperature-sensitive, I have no idea.

it's hard starting after it's warmed up. It'll crank like the battery is weak. I've let the car run for almost an hour. No signs of a weakening battery. Can't really verify the starter but that's the only thing I'm coming up with. Any other ideas?
          What is the open-circuit voltage of the battery? Anything under 12.6 is partially-discharged. 12.2 is half-dead.

Have you ever had the battery load-tested?
          Have you ever pulled the caps and checked the electrolyte level?
          Does the alternator work properly?
          Are the cables corroded? Are the battery terminals--the side-posts--corroded? (VERY common, and Delco batteries are about the worst.) Many times folks don't recognize "black"-coated battery terminals or cable ends is a form of corrosion that KILLS current flow. Corrosion is not always green and fuzzy; and even when it is green and fuzzy, if it's under the cable insulation you may not see it. Voltage-drop testing is essential!

Sure, the starter could be defective. The ONLY way to know for sure is to perform a COMPLETE diagnostic on the starter, alternator, cables, and battery. A defect in any one of those can seem like a defect in another--or several.
          Last edited by Schurkey; 06-12-2015, 12:39 PM.
          ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

the coolant level sensor in the monte carlo acted oddly for a while.... only when the engine was hot, the light would randomly alternate between off/on. there was a bunch of far-too-old-coolant goo packed into it, I've cleaned it out, but I haven't run it to check if it is operating properly yet.

it wasn't too bad to remove in my case, I would recommend at least trying it, there are only two wire spring clips holding it into the radiator.
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
            X