Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone hear of the 3.4dohc having 275hp originally?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sappyse107
    hahaha, yeah, its always the chip, and something else:P Yes, that was 89-90, not 85-86 cause the engine was either not though of, or very early stages of prototypes.
    That Fiero prototype? Its the 1989/1990 prototype but certainly was NOT built in 89 or 90 if thats what you mean. GM stopped producing the Fiero in 88. They certainly did not produce a prototype after they stopped making the production car. There is a video floating around the 'net of GM constructing parts of the 90 prototype (putting body panels on, I think), dated August 1987. Thus the engine is probably an early prototype. The intake sure looks the same as the 91-95 LQ1s, but I think the valve covers are somewhat different as well as the fuel rail cover (looks like cast aluminum or magnesium; cool!). Internally? Nobody knows except the displacement listed on the engine is 3.2. The tranny in the prototype is an automatic .

-Steven

Comment

actually there were 89, 90, 91, and later prototypes. Some were just drawings, others were actually whole vehicles.

this'll help. check out the FIERO GTP. interesting huh? no mention of another 3.4 w/ 275 HP although this article was written in 94---the project may have been completely DOA.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
      Daily - 1993 Lumina Z34 - Rebuilt 3.4. Restoration in progress.
      Fun -- 1996 Grand Prix SE B4U w/L67 swap - 13.851@99.29 3.4, PEMs, DHP, Exhaust, CAI and a bunch of minor mods.

Comment

The February 2005 issue of High Performance Pontiac has more pictures of that Fiero GTP (the 89/90 prototype) from the same photo session. The decklid of that car says "3200" on it. However, there are no pictures of the engine itself on that car so its possible that the 3200 refers to a pushrod 60degV6. The 90 prototype that was brought out to the 20th Anniversary show didn't have the 3200 badge on the decklid. So it is possible that the DOHC V6 in there is actually identical to ours; displacement and all. That intake plenum sure looks the same; could 275 HP be made with the 91-95 intake even with different cams? If not, not even that pre-production engine in the Fiero prototype is the rumored 275 HP DOHC V6.

Comment

IMO 275hp could not be made, in factory setup, with the early manifolds, it is just too restrictive and I'm sure GM wouldn't add a CAI and headers to a production car. They would need totally new cams, paired with a new intkae manifold, and some extensive computer tuning to get 275hp and still keep it in "stock form."

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron
            IMO 275hp could not be made, in factory setup, with the early manifolds, it is just too restrictive and I'm sure GM wouldn't add a CAI and headers to a production car. They would need totally new cams, paired with a new intkae manifold, and some extensive computer tuning to get 275hp and still keep it in "stock form."
            I don't know Aaron, I think it's in there. Michael (FFP) is at 265hp, he bases this on the 217hp he put to the wheels and a 18% loss through the 5 speed. He doesn't have headers or different cams. I have put down 225hp to the wheels through my auto tranny, without headers, a CAI or new cams. I was told by GM, a few tranny rebuilders and a tuner that the loss on the 4T60E is upwards of 25%, so that would mean that I'm getting upwards of 300hp.

As a footnote, I am swapping my motor into a 5-speed car, not changing ANYTHING, I'll run it on the dyno and post the numbers. Then we will all be able to see the difference in loss between the auto and 5-speed tranny.

Wether or not the engine was originaly making 275hp will remain a mystery, but with a few mods, I think and now know that 275hp is attainable from this engine.

We'll see this spring...
            sigpic
            Z34 red, auto, written of by a red light runner.
            Z34 white, 5 speed, stored in Canada
            Mercedes-Benz C20K, Dubai
            Mercedes-Benz CLK500 AMG, Dubai

Comment

Aaron is banned for life. Michael sold his car (although a new member on here now owns it).
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

who has the highest dynoed 3.4 TDC?

Are most ratings in commercials flywheel hp or at the wheels?

I just hope my car starts after my first rebuild.....
                95 MC Z34 Black
                Running strong with new engine, transmission, brakes and suspension.

Comment

When I get the new car I hope to be putting somewere in the 250ish area. We're dynoeing it in May.

1992 Lumina Z34 | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Getrag 284 |
                  1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E |

Comment

Originally posted by napatiger

All hp ratings you see in adds are at the crank. I'd also like to know all the dyno numbers guys have got. The only ones that I'm aware of are Michaels (FFP) 219 to the wheels with his 5-speed and my 225 to the wheels with the auto. It would be nice to see a thread started on this subject. No dyno sheets - no posts, g-tech's need not apply. :P
                    sigpic

Comment

fiero.cc is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, fiero.cc has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

some interesting info and hp numbers.
                      1997 Z34 Monte,: testing 4 exh cam\'s, RSM STB, K&N, Eagle077 245/40/ZR18 Nitto Extreme
                      1972 3/4 ton 4X4 longbed, built 350, 400 auto, 6\" spring lift, 35\" AT/BFG\'s, dana 60 front axle, 14 bolt gm w/detroit locker 4.56 gears. My ricer smasher

Comment

Originally posted by Kevwood
                        Originally posted by napatiger

All hp ratings you see in adds are at the crank. I'd also like to know all the dyno numbers guys have got. The only ones that I'm aware of are Michaels (FFP) 219 to the wheels with his 5-speed and my 225 to the wheels with the auto. It would be nice to see a thread started on this subject. No dyno sheets - no posts, g-tech's need not apply. :P
                        Throwing your numbers out becuz they are total bullshit and everyone knows this, the list is like this to the best of our knowledge:

1) TimG: 263fwhp (Turbo/intercooled)
                        2) short runner: 240.1rwhp (tuned intake)
                        3) Michael: 219fwhp (bolt ons)
                        4) Aaron: 218fwhp (more bolt ons...?)

Comment

Originally posted by 91gtp

Throwing your numbers out becuz they are total bullshit and everyone knows this
                          Sounds kinda familiar. *cough*aaron*cough*

BTW: I really want a ride in Tim's Monte! That thing has got to haul ass!

Comment

Originally posted by 91gtp
                            Throwing your numbers out becuz they are total bullshit and everyone knows this, the list is like this to the best of our knowledge:

1) TimG: 263fwhp (Turbo/intercooled)
                            2) short runner: 240.1rwhp (tuned intake)
                            3) Michael: 219fwhp (bolt ons)
                            4) Aaron: 218fwhp (more bolt ons...?)
                            why are his numbers BS Aaron? also did you dyno 218fwhp in a 91 GTP or your Z34? i'm confused....did you get a new car?
                            '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo / Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 13psi / lightly modded
                            '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - 180* T-stat, otherwise stock

GM W-body Forums

Comment

Damn Aaron, you're attackin Kevwood on two fronts. Your calling bullshit over at z34store.com and over here. I understand that the dyno graph may look funny but he might be telling the truth. You never know.

Kyle
                              1992 Lumina Z34
                              5 Speed
                              Autozone civic intake
                              Ultra White lights
                              FFP Dogbone mount
                              125k miles
                              2.5 inch Magnaflow catback from Magnaflow cat
                              60degreeV6.com Custom Chip

Comment

LOL, I just read aarons attack against me on z34store, http://www.z34store.com/z34board/viewtopic.php?t=168 ,what a tool. To satisfy this pee-brain I have asked that the company that rebuilt my car and dynoed it get a hold of him and lay down the law, and by the sounds of it, aaron got torn a new header flange.

The engine that put down 225 was in my red Z (auto) that was written off (a woman ran a stop sign and *poof* - it was gone) but is getting swapped into a 5 speed car in mid June. I look forward to sharing the dyno numbers and videos with all of you - I think we really have something special here. We'll see!

And by the way 91TGP, I mean aaron, my 225 belongs at #3, ABOVE your 218.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X