Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone hear of the 3.4dohc having 275hp originally?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was an apprentice mechanic back in 91. I was talking to a guy with a feiro that had a 4.3 put in it. He worked for Magna International. At the time I thought nothing of the stories he had told me until I read this thread. Back then he had done some of the testing of the prototype 3.4DOHC. They dynoed approx 5 of them. The best had 275 hp and goops of torque. The second one has 250 hp and 250 lbs of torque. The main reason they were not made into porduction was the emissions would not need the EPA standards at that time. They were taken back to the GM plant and destroyed. This is what I know about how much they had originally.

Comment

More BS...

Comment

If that is what you believe. I know he was an engineer at Magna. He also worked on their 10 million dollars car that was made inhouse to show they could build one. All from parts they made.

Comment

with everything done to mine and using a program to estimate 255-265 hp from the 1/4 mile time and weight - i'm thinking a proper dyno tune could easily get it up over 275. and i can understand why, if one of these had that much from the factory, that it wouldnt have been released...... it killed a rebuilt w/ good parts 4t60-e in 20k miles.

however, the point is moot. everything is rumors and hearsay, and 16+ years later that doesn't add up to much.

Comment

Link no working? http://60degreev6.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=6819

what mods did he have to hit 225 at the wheels?

Comment

The GOD mod!

Comment

People! Oldsmobile people! I know your in here! SPEAK! Lack of us opening our mouths is what killed Olds! Why do you think chevy is still around? Cause they're cheap and all the owners have big mouths! :P

Olds Aerotech Quad 4 was a 2.0L design, It pushed around 1100 HP and I have heard claims of up to 1800HP x4 Turbochargers, sequential set-up.

Now, I also know that the prototype 3.5L Intrigue motor made it into the aerotech displacing... drum roll..... 3.2L. But for only a few years before they crammed the 4.0L aurora motor in there. Proto-typing of the 3.5/3.2 Olds motor started in 1986.

Which brings me too.... What makes you so sure that Chevy built the 3.2 proto motor? The 3.4 dohc is just a glorified 2.8, you all know it.

Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Chevy, Buick, there is your engine builders, all engines outside of caddy motors, went into production and cross swapping.

Now in support, I've seen a 2.8L tin can breathing, supercharged, on a dyno putting out 600HP. Dont know who built it or what it went into, dont know if it lived, just that it exists. Which means, the higher technology 3.4 dohc should be able to really make some power. It all depends on how deep your pocket is.

Now to really blow your mind, gear driven cams hemi DOHC, mechanical fuel injection 8 TB's putiing out 1400 HP 432 CI ca. 1962 Oldsmobile.
                Chevy couldn't keep their 427 together long enough to catch her either.
                sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

HERE IT IS..... Check out the rest of the website

I want to believe it has potential please if anybody disagrees and come up with a better explaination than his, or even try to verify if what he says is true let all of us know thanks.....

Comment

Yes, we knows. Its the same bullshit that it was 7 years ago.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Kool just thought you guys would like the link if you didnt have it

Comment

GM went racing with the "Quad 4" engine. Well, they called it that, anyway. And it had LOTS of power. Why doesn't anyone remember that NOTHING on it was stock production. The only thing the race engine had in common with the production engine was the bore center measurement. Not even the block was the same.

275 horses out of the 3.4? Sure. I have no problem believing it could be done.

Can it be done and still meet all emissions requirements AND the car still makes it through the warranty period? Nope, I'm not buying that. Not with the technology GM was willing to utilize in in '88--'96. (It's not that the technology didn't exist--it's that GM pinches the nickel until the buffalo poops.)

And I don't care who heard what story from someone else. I can claim that my brother's girlfriend's aunt had a dog that used to belong to a dyno operator that once saw a GM 3.4 DOHC make 800 horsepower. There's no credibility, 'cause stories get exaggerated with each re-telling.

I wanna hear it from the GM Powertrain development team member.
                        ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Last edited by hok666; 02-21-2008, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Well I guess that answers a question I posted in the performance forum before i saw this...
                            another little side note on the fiero concept car discussed bfore, if anyone is interestedin seeing something kind of cool check out the Sheetmetal Handbook by Ron Fournier, he made the custom intake for that motor and it shows step by step how he did it.
                            Last edited by mrslick800; 03-10-2008, 08:34 PM.
                            88 Ranger with 302 V8 - Bad ass Camaro eating 4x4...Smoked tranny and unsafe rusted frame

67 Mustang with 305 I6 and independent rear...in pieces and in complete

65 F100 pickup with 352 all stock, half restored....Smashed front end

84 Jeep cj7 4 cyl 5spd...dead starter, vacuum leaks everywhere, smoked wiring harness....notice a pattern?

1991 Lumina z34 Police package....first GM product if you dont count the steering column in my jeep...so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslick800 View Post
                              another little side note on the fiero concept car discussed bfore, if anyone is interestedin seeing something kind of cool check out the Sheetmetal Handbook by Ron Fournier, he made the custom intake for that motor and it shows step by step how he did it.
                              What custom intake? The 89/90 concept had a cast aluminum plenum just like our motors...
                              Do you have the book? It'd be cool if you could post scans or pics!

Comment

Originally posted by series8217 View Post
                                What custom intake? The 89/90 concept had a cast aluminum plenum just like our motors...
                                Do you have the book? It'd be cool if you could post scans or pics!
                                It was a cast or machined (I cant tell) base with sheetmetal runners, it said he needed to make abunch but they may have just been for the developement engines, I'll post the pictures if I can get my scanner to work.
                                88 Ranger with 302 V8 - Bad ass Camaro eating 4x4...Smoked tranny and unsafe rusted frame

67 Mustang with 305 I6 and independent rear...in pieces and in complete

65 F100 pickup with 352 all stock, half restored....Smashed front end

84 Jeep cj7 4 cyl 5spd...dead starter, vacuum leaks everywhere, smoked wiring harness....notice a pattern?

1991 Lumina z34 Police package....first GM product if you dont count the steering column in my jeep...so far so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X