Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

potential buyer help... '94 cutlass convertible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potential buyer help... '94 cutlass convertible.

I ran across a '94 convertible. The body is pretty good, tear on arm-rest console, but with the following things, I didn't know if it was worthwile....

Owner had new tranny put in.

Could use new top (small tear on bottom rear and leaks water into boot).

Engine was replaced with a used one, but owner doesn't know how many miles on it. (It has the "GM Goodwrench 3.4 DOHC" stamped on it).

Runs good except for unsteady idle and sometimes stalling out unless giving gas.

Leaking power steering line it looks like.

He wants about $1200 for it.

What do you guys think?

Oh, I almost forgot, he said the climate control keeps going out. It works if you take it out and un-plug it and plug it back in, but then the next day it goes out again.

RE: potential buyer help...

Sounds like a decent price to me. I'd go for it.

'93 Cutlass Ragtop LQ-1 -- Semi-retired over winters
    '06 Dodge Magnum SXT 3.5L -- My Daily Driver

Comment

id go for it only if you are mechacilly inclined and have a very good temper because these things can be a pain in the . not to scare you away because there great when there goin good.
      92 Lumina euro 3.4 DOHC 139,XXX miles

Comment

Sounds like a good deal. The engine sounds like the Intake Manifold is leaking.

Screw the climate control, Drop the top and let the good air flow.
        The top should be replaced.
        The interior is easy, you can get those pieces at a junkyard or online.

Good luck.
        1995 Pontiac GTP
        Over $12K invested, and still its slow. Maybe thats because thats most all repairs. Don\'t knock the engine though, because thats the only part that has seemed to last.

Comment

took another look...

I stopped by on my way home to take another look at the car. It was getting dark the first time I looked at it. The top would definately have to be replaced. It has a narrow tear on both sides right above where the top meets the car in the back. I was thinking I could probably put tape on it, but I that would look ugly and wear off anyway.
          I had checked the dealer for the climate control thing. CRAZY price.
          When the car is running, there is a "drip, drip" that as far as I can tell and after talking to the owner, does seem to be the power steering lines. I could probably do the manifold, but that steering line looks beyond my basic skills. I'm wondering how much it might cost to get fixed. And If done, wouldn't it be a good idea to do the belt and water pump? I'm wondering how much it might run me to get it all done in one shot?

I think I'm going to talk to the guy again if I can get a hold of him this weekend.

Comment

Those cars are going to be classics - Get it while you can. If it runs, you can always sell it on Ebay for more then that. I have 2 of them, and doesn't matter whther it is the 3.4 (extremely hard to find) or the 3.1's convt's, they are rare.
            If you don't have mechanical experience, and are very impatient - forget, don't touch it - too much work!
            Stan
            1994 White Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4 DOHC
            Add Ons: Overhead Display, Digital Dash, Trip Computer

Comment

From what i have heard, the leaking Powre Stering fluid will eat the
              Timing Belt if it gets to it.....something to think about. Anyway, you would want to repair leak when you replace Timing Belt ( Dayco or Gates Belt)anyway, and i would definately do that as soon as you buy it!!! While you are at it go ahead and replace Lower & upper Intake Gaskets & check out that Distributer, or now non-distributer Plug for leaks while you are down there........ If you end up not wanting it, let me know & if i live close enough, i might buy it...........not that im tryin to snatch up your deal.
              94 Lumina Z34
              Moved Wife & Kids Out So I Could Have More Room To Park Z34 In Livingroom.

Comment

Working...
              X