Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to run a 282 behind a DOHC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to run a 282 behind a DOHC?

THis si something I have been wondering for a while.. Seeing as how overly abundant 282s are in comparison to the 284, I was wondring if there is any way to beef up a 282 to handle the 3.4.. The reason I ask mainmly is to quell some curiosity, and the fact I see the guys doing V8 swaps in their Fieros w/ the trusty ol 282.. But also seeing as how the 3100 MPFI is going to be turbo, I would be having the 282 rebuilt anyway.. (THe DOHC I plan to buy will also be the basis for a Turbo project.. I want to spank mustnags and 350 Camros..) Thanks for takin the time to read this, and I thank you for putting up with any insolence in this post..

90 Chevy Lumina: 3.1L V6; swapping out for TLQ1
    94 Cutty Supreme: 3100 V6
    Soon: Something new?

I am running the 282 in my dohc fiero. No problems at all. You might want to look into the clutch slave cylinder and the shift linkages on the tranny to make sure you wont run into any problems.

Chris

Comment

How long have you been running this setup?

90 Chevy Lumina: 3.1L V6; swapping out for TLQ1
      94 Cutty Supreme: 3100 V6
      Soon: Something new?

Comment

The weight of a W body is going to be a factor into how long the trans lasts. Fiero is a good 500 pounds less than a W body.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I have 20k on the setup now and had another 100k on the tranny before I did the swap. The stock fiero clutch will not hold up to the 3.4 though. I am going to have to upgrade to a Spec Stage 3 as mine is slipping now.

Chris

Comment

Out of curiosity here; I know that the 282 uses a push type release bearing and the 284 uses the pull type and that the 284 is a beefier design, but what about other differences? Is it the same physical dimensions as the 284? If you did drop one into a W body can you use the same 284 CV axles?

Just wondering
            sigpic
            Z34 red, auto, written of by a red light runner.
            Z34 white, 5 speed, stored in Canada
            Mercedes-Benz C20K, Dubai
            Mercedes-Benz CLK500 AMG, Dubai

Comment

Working...
            X