Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when you neglect a 3.4L timing belt..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when you neglect a 3.4L timing belt..........

I'll start by talking about the background of the car. Its a 92 Z34 5-Speed that I bought a few years back with the intention of using it as a parts car in converting my GTP into a 5-Speed.

[img]ftp://142.162.135.171/Z34/z34_in_cb.JPG[/img]

The owner of the car didnt know why it wouldn't start anymore only to say something was jammed up in the ring gear causing the motor not to be able to turn over. Obviously I didn't agree with this assessment but whatever, I didn't care about that because I was just after the gearbox.

Out of curiousity, once we got the car home, we popped off the timing belt inspection cover.

[img]ftp://142.162.135.171/Z34/broken_belt.JPG[/img]

About a week ago the 5-Speed swap finally began with the removal of the cradle from the Z34. That went about as smoothly as I had anticipated ending with the car slipping off the jack and falling to the floor.

So with the engine and transmission out of the car, we started tearing down the motor to further inspect the damage. Our first move was to remove the timing belt cover.

[img]ftp://142.162.135.171/Z34/cover_off1.JPG[/img]

The timing belt had wrapped around the intermediate shaft sprocket 4 times and bound up solid, explaining why the motor could not turn over.

[img]ftp://142.162.135.171/Z34/cover_off2.JPG[/img]

We pulled, pried and ultimately used a propane torch in a futile attempt to remove the bound up belt. When we determined that this was hopeless, we then attempted to remove the sprocket itself. Upon removing the retaining bolt, we noticed the sprocket was off-center, it wasn't too long after this that we figured out what had actually happened:

[img]ftp://142.162.135.171/Z34/sheared1.JPG[/img]

[img]ftp://142.162.135.171/Z34/sheared2.JPG[/img]

[img]ftp://142.162.135.171/Z34/sheared3.JPG[/img]

The final remains of the belt:

[img]ftp://142.162.135.171/Z34/belt_remains.JPG[/img]

Anyways I just thought I'd share, this is the first case I know of of a timing belt failure causing an intermediate shaft to shear off.

RE: What happens when you neglect a 3.4L timing belt........

Wow, that really did a good job of fucking that motor up! Cool pics, hope I never see this first hand.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yea it's not something I want to see again either. I think I'm still going to try and get this thing running though. But first I have to tear it down the rest of the way and see if there's any other surprises.

Does anyone have a spare Intermediate Shaft lying around?

Comment

I have a spare intermediate shaft out of a 95 engine. I dont see any difference btween the 95 block and the 91 block I am putting in so it should work. I live just outside Chicago

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Working...
          X