Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random no-start problem

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with my 97 Z34. When she's running she is running mint. However, I've had about 4 times now where the car, after it being driven anywhere from 15 minutes to over an hour, won't start after being turned off. She will turn and crank but won't start. After I leave it for an hour or more, she starts up fine again without a problem.

Since I bought the car 3 years ago I've put in a new battery, alternator, timing belt, coilpacks, plugs, wires. I changed the fuel relay but that didn't fix the problem. Someone told me the crank sensor could be the problem.

Has anyone been through this? I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

RE: Random no-start problem

I always check connections first, and then grounds. A bad crank sensor I would imagine would go bad while you are driving just as likely as it is to go bad while sitting. Have you checked your fuel pressure to see what it is when you are cranking when it wont fire? Checked for spark? Could help figure out the location of the problem.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

do you hear the fuel pump running when you try and start it, when its acting up?
      Stephanie
      92 GTZ ~SupermoddedW41GTZ~

Comment

I have had the connections checked and they are fine. The fuel pressure is fine too. The problem is that my mechanic had the car for a week and it started fine every time. The day after I got the car back she did it again!

I thought it was the fuel pump too. I thought it was just me but from the inside of the car I stopped hearing the hum of the fuel pump before starting but I have heard it from the outside. Go figure.

Can a fuel pump randomly not work and wouldn't it likely happen on a cold start as much as a warm start too?

Comment

Here's an update: it turned out that it was the fuel pump. It finally died to the point where I couldn't even start the car anymore. Good thing it was parked at home.

Just wanted to say thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
          X