engine main caps and Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine main caps and Question(s)

i have started a rebuild and taking heaps of parts to the machine shop but for the life of me i can't find the main caps anymore.

i have another block laying around for mockup purposes. this one appeared to have spun a rod bearing. can i use the main caps off of this motor in place of mine for the rebuild?

also i cannot find the nuts that hold on the windage tray, can i just use like the nuts off of the exhaust manifolds for that? or were they special in some kind of way?(doesn't look like they were is memory serves)
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

RE: engine main caps and Question(s)

Loctite the windage tray nuts, that should take care of it. As for the mains, I believe the newer 3400 mains are better quality. They are meant for the other oil pan but even so, they may fit and be better.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

The windage tray nuts I have look identical to the 3X00 exhaust manifold nuts. I have even interchanged them. They are the distorted nuts (don't remember the name for them) that don't back off.

Marty
      '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
      '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
      '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
      '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
      Originally posted by Aaron
      This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

sweet, i have plenty of extra exhaust manifold nuts laying around. the machinist said if i use caps from a different 3.4 dohc it would have to be align bored. or is he just trying to saok me for some dough?

edit: or was is line bored?
        The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

It will have to be line(align) bored. In a perfect world, you should be able to simply swap them, but the machining process even has tolerances that vary from one block to the next.

Comment

Working...
          X