All Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Lights

My foglights go off when I hit my brights. I know that with relays, I can run them, as well as my dims and brights together. Just not sure how to wire it correctly. Any help? Wiring diagram would be nice!
    If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
    sigpic

Don't your lowbeams stay on when you turn on your brights? My GP's do, and it is the same configuration.

Lyle

Comment

Uh, no they don't. Yours doesn't either. Your low beams are on the dual beam side. The low side turns off when the high side is turned on. And my foglights turn off when brights are on. I want all 3 and my foglights on at the same time. I realize that this will diminish the life of the dual beam, that is why I want the wiring diagram. Then I can incorporate a switch that allows all on at the same time. Or back to stock. Country, backroad, deer thing. Light up the world!!

I saw a post on this on MyMonte, pretty vague though.
      If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
      sigpic

Comment

OK, if I understand you correctly we have 2 sets of head lights obviously. But one set has a high and low?

I'm confused.

Lyle

Comment

Yes. Your outsides are High and Low. Not at the same time. Hence.. Dual Beam. And since my first post on this, I have the diagram. To operate all, (Foglights included), requires 2 extra relays and a ton of load on the alternator. Not worth it.

I will do the foglights though.
          sigpic

Comment

I have did it for many customers.
            My own car has it done and I did it 3 years ago with no problems.

If you want to increase the brightness of your lights as they are add a relay per headlight. The factory harness has a significant voltage drop between the switch and the bulbs. Place the relays as close to the bulb as you can within reason.

regards,
            David Hayes
            1991 Grand Prix STE
            3.4 DOHC
            1 of 792 Produced
            Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
            3.4 DOHC
            Getrag 284 5spd
            1 of 30
            Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Would some service manual pages help you? I've got some 92 Grand Prix books I could scan if that helps.
              I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

adding two relays one for each headlight will most likely not increase brightness, differences in a relay will cause the headlights to activate out of sync. Since using one for both sides will effectivly double the gauge cross section anyway so the drop is simalar to using one per.

It doen't matter how close the relay is to the headlight as you still have to power the relay, I'd say the closest it is to the battery would be best and use larger gauge wire.

If you want to use one per headlight, or even one per beam the wire has to match length to length especially on the trigger side. For instance if the trigger wire to the passenger side light is 6 feet so does the wire going to the drivers side light even if it is closer and it would appear less wire is needed. Most 14 gauge wire has a resistance of .002 ohms per foot.
                I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

i too have had this done. i have a two relays. the first is activated with my parking lights to turn on my fogs (have a switch on the PL lead) one of the two output's goes to the second relay's power in. then i use the high beam wire to trigger the second relay and then power my low beams. this way i can turn off my fogs and lows when i have my hi's on or keep them on. i did a write up on this some time ago it is on pg 6 of my website. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/473859/6 enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                  X