Delete EGR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delete EGR

I would like to delete the EGR on my 95 GTP. There is a vacuum leak on it right now and it doesn't idle right. Right now I have JB Weld holding the pipe to the upper part because they don't make a part for it. It is a 95 UIM and LIM with EGR and everything 96 below. The EGR pipe is different on 95 and 96 on both sides of it so I had to do something to hold the pipe together. So I used the Jb Weld and now everytime I take off the UIM I have to buy more JB Weld.

Would deleting the EGR cause less gas milage? Or affect anything? I know I come to the conclusion of I have to find someone to delete the EGR out of the computer and cap it off, but when I do that would it affect anything?

the computer uses the egr to compensate for KR and raise combustion temps to burn off emission as well. you will loose some MPG without it.

Comment

I talked to Travis and he said he got rid of his EGR and hasn't had any change. I think you get less gas milage if you didn't get rid of it on the computer. But I am getting rid of it on the computer.

Comment

It cools combustion temps, not raises then. It also doesn't compensate for KR. I noticed no difference in gas milage from turning it off either.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I'm not gonna lie. I TOTALLY got rid of my EGR with the header install and I saw BETTER gas milage when I recently went to Texas. I averaged it in around 24-25MPG. And to me that's not bad at all.
          1999 SVT Lightning
          1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.
          Next BEATER: a C5
          http://www.fquick.com/ez112

Comment

I bet those headers saved you the fuel rather than that EGR being gone.

I know for sure that 99.9% of well designed header(s) increase your MPG.
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I deleted my EGR. Ben made me a chip with no EGR. Now does the EGR still have to be plugged in on top of my block off plate?

I hooked everything up and now I get a SES light, but I don't have the computer to pull them. I'd have to go to Murray's and get it.

Comment

Can't you use a paperclip to get the codes?
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I have a 95. It has the second version of OBDI.

Edit: I just gave it some thought and went through all the wires that needed to be plugged in. And I thought of one wire. And that wire is not plugged in. Damn it. All back apart again. Stupid O2 sensor. My hands are to big to get back there.
                  Last edited by bve32k; 06-18-2006, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I plugged in the O2 sensor now and the SES light is still on. I guess I will be making a trip to Murrays still. The block off plate for the EGR is leaking so I don't know if that could be it or not.

There didn't seem to be a SES light on until I reved the engine in park. Any ideas?

Edit: I called Murrays and to rent the damn tool they want $399.99. To rent!

Thats not happening.
                    Last edited by bve32k; 06-18-2006, 11:52 AM.

Comment

It shouldn't be the EGR. Its turned off so the computer isn't going to even look for it. A vacuum leak could be it but I doubt it unless its massive.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by z34phoenix
                        the computer uses the egr to compensate for KR and raise combustion temps to burn off emission as well. you will loose some MPG without it.

This is correctly stated the ECM compensates for raise combustion temps to burn emmisions. Not sure about KR, I don't do abbrev's. The temps are increased at certain times. Any time you lean a mixture it burns hotter, however the o2 compensates the leaning....and soo on the checks and balances.

Not only does the EGR recirculate spent gas, it recirculates unspent gas, hence Exhaust, Gas, Recirculation. MPG are minimal though with or without depending on the application. Without it Combustion temps are solely driven by O2, fuel curve, MAP, and IAT or MAF a set up like this without proper programming can cause combustions temp to go up. The EGR makes the temps more stable to which emmisions will more likely be trapped by the catylst, to high of temps the emmision has already entered a phase emmisable by the catylst.
                        Last edited by Juglenaut; 07-01-2006, 12:47 AM.
                        I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

It's to lower combustion temps to prevent forming of NOx. It will displace some air too so the computer will pull fuel when the EGR opens, around cruising/etc and that bascially makes your motor have less displacement.
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

yep i did more research and i was wrong with my orignal statment... the EGR is not a factor in controling KR. and it is there to lower combustion temps. ... from what i read, it will cause more KR if removed and not compensated for in the computer. cause comb. temp goes up and causes detonation.

my question is, say i remove the EGR block off both sides. and go into the PCM and remove the SES for it. what else do i need to adjust to compensate for this potential for more KR? would a A/F tune thru the MAF table work?

Comment

Just disable the EGR int he ECM, not the ses code. Then it won't compensate anything and you will be fine.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X