Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any1 looking for DOHC timing tools

kind of just guaging interest but:

i see there are still a few peeps looking for these and there are none left so i borrowed one and sent it to my cnc guy. he got back with me today and gave me a ballpark quote for 10.

if there is sufficient interest i can have these made. they can be painted for no additional cost and i believe he said he can powder coat them for 5 bux more.

i still need to talk to him about the details. i can't really say what the price is yet b/c i am not trying to cut anybody out of the loop(namely the site itself).

i am willing to buy one for myself so that leaves 9. so post up if you want one(no commit to buy or anything).
    Last edited by dohcfiend; 07-24-2006, 10:55 PM.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

price?....
    95 MC Z34 Black
    Running strong with new engine, transmission, brakes and suspension.

Comment

Not trying to sound like a complete n00b, but whats that tool do and hows it work? Got any pics?

Jamie

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
      3.4L DOHC
      My Cardomain Page UPDATED MARCH 10, 2006

Comment

its used to time your cams on the 3.4, it sits between the cams and gets bolted in and has dials so you know exactly what your timing your engine to.

that topic has some info on the 6/6 timing, also has pictures.

-Jeff

Comment

still waiting on the concrete info but a preliminary ballpark would be $88 ea. only other thing i should add is these are made out of good steel so they will not wear out as nearly as fast as the originals.

Comment

Can you use it on the front and rear set of cams while it is in the car? Will it be the same as the old tool is? (In quality???)

If the answer is yes, yes

The YES I'm interested!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Dave
            1991 Grand Prix STE
            3.4 DOHC
            1 of 792 Produced
            Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
            3.4 DOHC
            Getrag 284 5spd
            1 of 30
            Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Post a bunch of good quality pics of the tool so we can get a good Idea what to expect. I like high precision tools that are Top quality.
              1991 Grand Prix STE
              3.4 DOHC
              1 of 792 Produced
              Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
              3.4 DOHC
              Getrag 284 5spd
              1 of 30

sigpic

Comment

cool your jets, they aren't made yet. i need to see if there is enough interest be4 i order a run. to save money they will be designed very much like the originals in form and function.

but the originals wear out too fast. the flats on the cams start to dig pits into the flats on the timing tool. also i am going to try to address the issue of the stickers on the originals for timing marks id like to have the new marks engraved but i am not sure i can talk my cnc guy into that for the same price or not. at the very least i want the 0 mark engraved and maybe have the rest painted on or something.

as far as quality, this guy charges a pretty penny but he hasn't let me down yet. which that statement in itself says alot b/c i usually have a healthy hatred for machinist and their b/s ways. i have had quite a few parts made by him(most of them groupbuys) and all are IMO top notch.

i am not sure if all the old groupbuy threads survived the upgrade but take a look for yourself if u like. if nothing else i believe napatiger purchased a billet front cover, ask him how it lined up etc...

there are others you can ask too. ez112, yourid, napatiger, fieroobsessed, sourmug, and a few others.

hey i think i talked to you at one time, weren't you looking for a billet serpentine tensioner??? i have 2 left that the machinist made for me. there is also a pic floating around of one. if u still wanted one, i'll take 70 for it. as far as design features go, it uses the factory bearing, so it is easily repairable if the bearing ever goes bad.

i do not think i can do much for th high quality pix. i think the site set a limit of 100k for jpg.

Comment

Bobby, Come on now you forgotten who I am? LOL

Billet engine mounts?
                  The Poly inserts?
                  Timing belt top covers?
                  P/S delete?

Yes, you Called me to let me know some of the details on the one project.

Sorry, But I have been so busy JUST try to get all the work that we have at my shop done I have had no time to even touch my own poor car. I have been working 7 days a week.

The timing tool sounds good though, I could easily do it but I have no time to mess with that now. I guess we'll see how many other want one to see IF you can get some made.

Dave
                  1991 Grand Prix STE
                  3.4 DOHC
                  1 of 792 Produced
                  Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
                  3.4 DOHC
                  Getrag 284 5spd
                  1 of 30

sigpic

Comment

If these are the same as the other ones and would work on the 96-97 motors, I'd be up for one.

Tim
                    1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                    325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

they do in fact work on 97 motors.

Comment

id be intrested if the quality is good.
                        92 Lumina euro 3.4 DOHC 139,XXX miles

Comment

Hi Bobby:

I would be interested in a set too. Please keep me updated if this goes ahead.

Thanks
                          Nolan

Comment

Any updates?

Thanks
                            Nolan

Comment

looks like 5 counting me so far. so 1/2 way there or at least until the owner of the original timing tool wants it back.

Comment

Working...
                              X