Orange color on cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange color on cam

I have a 97 MC Z34 3.4 DOHC. I have an orange color on the cam. The first pic is of the third cam next to the throttle body looking at the motor from the front. I believe I have a coolant leak just don't know where it's from. I think I need the lower intake gaskets replaced. Is this easy or hard? Any ideas or tips? Help needed ASAP!

Under the throttle body and fuel rails.

Some wire I found?

Last edited by Calamity97; 02-19-2008, 11:01 AM.

That wire is a ground I think. Odd place for it. Don't worry about the cam color, that is normal. Not sure exactly, might be paint but I have seen it on quite a few cams in perfect engines.

Does look like you are leaking something but you should clean that area out and then keep an eye on it.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

OK Great thanks! I can button her back up now! What a relief. About the ground wire any idea where it goes?

Comment

It looks like a ground, but it may not be. You will have to trace it, or at least check voltage on it first. Don't want to short it if its not a ground. I would guess it goes to the block but I don't recall that kind of connector in that area.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Any tips on replacing the lim gaskets?

Comment

hmm, pull the power steering pump first, it makes things easier. Other than that, I think its fairly straight forward. Pull the injector rail off but leave it connected to the fuel lines.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thanks for all your help This is what I have come upon now.

Can't really tell where it's coming from what should I do next?

Comment

Thanks alot SappySE107 you were a great help! Finally got it all done lim all the way up! Had posted on another site and no help!

Comment

Awesome. New gaskets will help. I couldn't tell from those pics if its oil, or coolant/dirt. Hope it lasts a while for you
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Both, a real mess. My Z never ran so good the pull on her is just amazing reminds me of my old Z! NEW LIM's, cam cover gaskets, wires, plugs, coils, and fuel injector o-rings. Money worth spent it was a pain but well worth it. Cleaned the passage to the ports the lim, plenium, and the throttle body. My valve were shiny you can kinda see in the pic, but the ports were black.Thanks for the help saved me 550 + from the dealer and just to replace the lim's! I will try to post a vid later!

Comment

Working...
                    X