5-speed Manual Lumina Z-34 shifter cable problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-speed Manual Lumina Z-34 shifter cable problem

I am having a problem with my 5-speed 1992 Lumina Z-34. We were driving and all of a sudden the shifter handle became totally loose. I disassembled it and found that the bushing connecting the shifter cable to the handle was disintegrated.

It is a small black bushing with small "breather" holes on one side. The base of the shifter has a pin with a small groove in it that holds the shifter cable on. I am assuming some type of clip was supposed to be in the groove. Apparently this cheap quality piece of rubber is really what holds the shift handle and cable together...kinda scary.

I talked to Chevy customer service and the dealers. The shifter cable is no longer made by GM. Getrag who manufactured the transmission went out of business in November 2008. I have not been able to find a junkyard who has it.

I think the bushing may be made by a company called Timken, but I am not sure. Does anyone have one of these 5-speeds or has worked on them that can tell me about the bushing, the clip that holds the assembly together and/or the shift cable.

Thanks,

Tom

Mine did the same thing. As a temp fix before I have tracked down polyurethane bushings for it, I got some 3/8" fuel hose, cut a piece off to fit in there and used a cotter pin and washer to hold it together. So far it has yet to come apart. Since I don't see it I forgot completely about it (out of sight, out of mind).
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Sounds like we are on the same page. I used a piece of hose with two washers and a compression clip. However, the clip did not hold. What size cotter pin did you use? What are the exact diameters of the pin and groove the shift cable fits on?

You said you had found urethane bushings which would work. Where did you find those?

I found some '"booger bushings" at www.boogerracing.com that list the Getrag 284 transmission (Lumina Z34) as a possible fit. Has anyone used those?

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

I bought a package that had various sizes and used the first one that fits, so I don't have a size. I didn't mean to imply I had found polys, because since I didn't think about it after doing this temp fix, I forgot all about it and haven't even looked. At the time though, Poly sounded like the best bet. I had heard about booger bushings, but haven't checked them out until you mentioned them. I think once I get some time to work on my car, I will probably go with a set of those since after a while that fuel hose will wear out and those look like they will do the trick. As for the diameters of the pin and grooves, I never took the shifter out of the car when I "fixed it" since I stopped by my grandparents house to do it so I could get home.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I just placed an order for the booger bushings. It was only 12 bucks for the set. Hopefully they will work.

Do you have pics of your "fix". My problem is trying to get a clip or cotter pin to stay put. What size did you use for those?

Tom

Comment

Not sure what size. I will try to get outside and snap a pic for you tomorrow.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Here you go man! I didn't measure the pin, but it looked to be about 1 1/4" on the strait side. Hope this helps. You can see one of the threads coming out of the piece of hose in there since it has been forgotten about and is getting old, lol. Thanks for helping me remember about it
              Attached Files
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by NCChevyMan View Post
                I talked to Chevy customer service and the dealers. The shifter cable is no longer made by GM. Getrag who manufactured the transmission went out of business in November 2008.
                Just so we get the facts on this one straight, Getrag has NOT gone out of business. There was a subsidiary of Getrag created specifically for the production of dual-clutch transmissions for Chrysler, Getrag Transmission Manufacturing LLC, which filed for bankruptcy in Nov. 2008. Other US and International operations of Getrag are unaffected by this. However, Getrag is no longer rebuilding nor producing parts for the 284 and GM is no longer stocking anything for them, so those of us who still have them have the junkyards as our only choice for getting parts.

92 ASC GTP - 3.4 5sp, HUD, DIC, AQ9's
                88 Fiero GTs - L32 3.4 5sp & ZZ430 5.7 SBC V8 5sp (the twins) L32 -> LQ1 swap is underway
                6sp LS1 Corvette Roadster (parts getter)
                '99 Expedition (tow truck)
                '09 G8 (new toy)

Comment

Originally posted by crazyd View Post
                  Just so we get the facts on this one straight, Getrag has NOT gone out of business. There was a subsidiary of Getrag created specifically for the production of dual-clutch transmissions for Chrysler, Getrag Transmission Manufacturing LLC, which filed for bankruptcy in Nov. 2008. Other US and International operations of Getrag are unaffected by this. However, Getrag is no longer rebuilding nor producing parts for the 284 and GM is no longer stocking anything for them, so those of us who still have them have the junkyards as our only choice for getting parts.
                  shit, one more reason to sell the z34. i wanted a 5spd.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Okay. Thanks for the correction. Getrag has not gone out of business...their Chrysler division just filed for bankruptcy.

I am finding that junkyards aren't too interested in the parts either...because the cars are so old and gm has discontinued most of the parts for it. From what I understand there was 37 made in 91, 1827 in 1992, and 50 in 93 for the five speed. It has been described as one of the most expensive cars to maintain ever produced by GM.

Too bad Chevy won't let me trade even money for a brand new Camaro with the manual tranny...LOL. I have seen it there on the showroom floor each time my Z-34 hits the shop...which it is doing too frequently. Alternator, exhaust, pads, rotors, tires, bushing. Now it needs wheel hub bearings for the ABS and an ebcm, trim parts, window switch, etc. Love the car, but it sure is a money pit. When I factor in all I have put into it so far, along with my GM card earnings, discounts, etc. I could have have knocked several thousand off the price of something new with full manufacturer warranty.

Tom

Comment

You could have bought a really nice set of tools and a set of Helms manuals for what you have spent, then gained a wealth of knowledge that you could use to make extra money working on other peoples cars. I don't know if you left it out, or haven't had it done yet, but start saving up for the timing belt. I've been told it's about the same prices as the alternator (~$600).
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

At least GM dealers will work on it. They can barely even be coerced into changing the oil on a Fiero!

It's gotta be crazy expensive to let a dealer work on a DOHC, but it isn't that bad to work on it yourself. A new timing belt is only $50.

92 ASC GTP - 3.4 5sp, HUD, DIC, AQ9's
                        88 Fiero GTs - L32 3.4 5sp & ZZ430 5.7 SBC V8 5sp (the twins) L32 -> LQ1 swap is underway
                        6sp LS1 Corvette Roadster (parts getter)
                        '99 Expedition (tow truck)
                        '09 G8 (new toy)

Comment

Don't skimp on the tensioner and idler pulleys though. Better safe then sorry.
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                          X