Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '92 High-RPM 'hiccup'?

Hey all,

My '92 has developed a part-throttle, high-RPM 'hiccup' at 4000rpm and 5500rpm. It's a pretty harsh jerk that feels like the ignition is being shut off and turned back on. This started when I had nothing more than a slightly rough idle, and pulled my ICM and coils to take them in for testing. They all checked out, but when I was putting it back together I found a burned spark plug wire near the routing bracket under the front exhaust manifold. I replaced that wire with a spare I had, and put the rest of it back together. The idle smoothed out, but then this hiccup started happening instead. So I replaced all the spark plug wires last night, and it hasn't changed at all.

The ICM was tested on some kind of ICM tester at Autozone, I tested the coil resistance myself, and it was the same on all 3 though I don't remember the exact reading.

There are no codes. Last I checked, the plugs were in good shape, though I can't imagine how a plug would cause this. Anyone else ever experienced this before? The only other symptom is intermittent hot-stalling at stoplights, though I think that is a separate IAC problem.

92 ASC GTP - 3.4 5sp, HUD, DIC, AQ9's
    88 Fiero GTs - L32 3.4 5sp & ZZ430 5.7 SBC V8 5sp (the twins) L32 -> LQ1 swap is underway
    6sp LS1 Corvette Roadster (parts getter)
    '99 Expedition (tow truck)
    '09 G8 (new toy)

Check the wires going to the ICM. I didn't have this exact problem but I had misfires randomly until it got so bad the car wouldn't run. Pinched wire shorted out intermittently. Did you check the plugs for cracks? Had that happen to at high RPM only, but it wasn't as harsh as you are describing.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

bad icm is my guess. After you run it up to temp, mist the icm with a water bottle and then go test drive it again.
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Working...
      X