Starter issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter issues

Ok, I recently replaced the starter in my 91 Z34 because the old one would only start sometimes. Then it stopped all together. When I replaced it, it started out ok but then began to click one time when I'd turn the key. I'd have to sit and turn the key 5-10 times before it would. Thinking was a faulty starter again, I replaced it. Same thing. Any ideas? New starter, new cable to starter, newer battery...

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk

worn out ignition switch?

if you can manually engage the starter consistently(apply 12V to the solenoid wire through a ~10 guage wire off of the battery or aux + terminal), that will rule out the starter, solenoid and the starter motor +/ground connections, then you'll be down to the starter solenoid wire and ignition switch... I can't think of much else that would cause something like this.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I second the ignition switch.

I've had one fail in one of my cars to where power to accessories stayed on after turning off the key, then the next day losing power to accessories (and losing gauges because of it) while driving down the road. I've also replaced quite a few later model (late 90s, early 2k) GM ignition switches back when I was working on cars while laid off.

I would put money on throwing a multimeter on the start lead of the starter and getting less than 10v when attempting to crank.
      Last edited by pocket-rocket; 09-18-2015, 07:27 PM.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Thanks folks. I'll be back on it Sunday. A friend suggested dropping the starter again and testing it w/o the shims or flywheel load. It was a pain swapping out the starter cause of the oil cooler. Really don't wanna mess with that again. It was also suggested that the ground for the block might be the culprit. It's pretty green so I'll be replacing that too

Last edited by project 92z; 09-18-2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I recently read another thread with the same issue. Turned out to be the ignition switch. After replacing the starter, battery and cables, I think I might have the same problem. My question is could the switch also create a hard start prob. Especially when it's cold out, I have to keep the rpm hi until the fuel begins to "flow" on its own

Comment

When was the last time you did the fuel filter? That's cheap and easy though not necessarily fun.

The slow warm-up sounds different than the no start unless it's ground related. I assume you replaced both block to battery and block to body or however it is in this body. There should be 2 main ground cables although one may be smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by project 92z View Post
              I recently read another thread with the same issue. Turned out to be the ignition switch. After replacing the starter, battery and cables, I think I might have the same problem. My question is could the switch also create a hard start prob.
              Define "hard start". There's a BIG difference in the diagnosis between "starter won't crank" and "cranks but won't start".
              Nobody has mentioned the neutral safety switch yet. If the starter doesn't crank the engine when you turn the key, be sure the neutral safety switch in good condition and adjusted properly.

Especially when it's cold out, I have to keep the rpm hi until the fuel begins to "flow" on its own
              If the fuel wasn't flowing, the engine wouldn't run and you couldn't achieve "hi rpm".

I don't doubt that the vehicle has (solvable) problems, but you might get better advice if you just described--in detail--what the symptoms are.
              ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Schurkey View Post
                Define "hard start". There's a BIG difference in the diagnosis between "starter won't crank" and "cranks but won't start".
                Nobody has mentioned the neutral safety switch yet. If the starter doesn't crank the engine when you turn the key, be sure the neutral safety switch in good condition and adjusted properly.

If the fuel wasn't flowing, the engine wouldn't run and you couldn't achieve "hi rpm".

I don't doubt that the vehicle has (solvable) problems, but you might get better advice if you just described--in detail--what the symptoms are.
                probably tps or mass air flow

Comment

Ok I found out what my problems were. The single click on the key turn was the ignition switch. The hard start, well that turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit. I also swapped out the fuel pump (original). It was maybe a lil tired and I think the baffel interfered with some power.

Comment

Ok I found out what my problems were. The single click on the key turn was the ignition switch. The hard start, well that turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit. I also swapped out the fuel pump (original). It was maybe a lil tired and I think the baffel interfered with some power.

Comment

Comment

A buddy of mine said that after the fuel prime then the oil pump took over. Not quite sure how that works but unplugging then replacing the sending unit fixed the problem. Actually the fuel pump for blowing the fuse every time I turned the key.

Comment

when the engine is running and oil pressure is above the ~4PSI the switch triggers at, current for the fuel pump is shared between the oil pressure switch and the fuel pump relay.
                          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                          Latest nAst1 files here!
                          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Which is a good indication that there's still something wrong with the fuel pump relay, or relay wire harness.
                            ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

That's odd, there is a start relay to energize the fuel pump on start. Typically it runs for 2 seconds when you turn the key one then once oil pressure comes up the oil pressure switch energizes the fuel pump.

Usually a long crank happens when the relay fails and the engine does not get fuel until the oil pressure exceeds 4-6 psi. If the pressure senor died it would crank and seem to catch then die.

Finally you said you changed the starter. Was the solenoid changed also ? That is what usually goes "click".

ps when I had dual quads on the SBC in my Sunbird, I had to add a prime button to fill the AFB bowls before cranking. Took considerably longer than 2 seconds.
                              Last edited by padgett; 06-05-2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X