Timing headache!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Timing headache!

I have been lurking, browsing several of the already made timing threads and yet here I am with a new one...

I have timed this engine 10 or so times and still no start.

Crank mark is lined up with arrow(which has cylinder 2 at TDC, camshafts float free from cam gears and camshafts are held flat by the DIY hold down(3/4"x3/4"x6" bar key stock). I am at a lost...

I don't want to throw in the towel, but wife is car shopping as she isn't enjoying Uber anymore... Save me from buying her a Kia or Nissan that she is torn between!

did you follow Ben's walkthrough?

1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I have, every time.

Crankshaft mark is lined up with the cover "arrow". Balance shaft mark is as well. Started with the rear cams, flats up with tool installed, sprockets tightened. Tool removed and crank spun 360 and mark aligned with arrow again. Front camshafts, flats up with tool installed, sprockets tightened. Install everything to have a complete engine, go to start and it just cranks.
      Last edited by Scarecrow; 09-10-2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

#2 shouldn't be at TDC with that lined up.... 1(rear passenger side cylinder) should be.

compression test?
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I had gotten them mixed up while typing, the rear cylinder is at TDC. Compression test was good, along with fuel, all wires have spark.

So... I'm lost. Ive been playing with cars as a hobby for 19yrs and a Oldsmobile is kicking my ass.

Comment

I bought a Chilton book... According to it, that back cylinder is #2.. And the front one is #1...

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Comment

#1 is always the forward most cylinder, this would be the rear bank. If you've done the timing according to the incorrect info redo it again and see where you end up. If after you're positive that you've got the mechanical side correct are you missing spark or fuel?
              91 LQ1 GP GT

Comment

I got it to start last night. However, lifter on bank 2 ticks, and exhaust is escaping front rear manifold. Sounds like i have a vacuum leak as well

Comment

If the engine has been sitting unused for some time cold lifter ticks are common with this engine (I'm assuming it's a high miler) until it warms up, it may or may not settle down, did you pull off the exhaust manifolds?..or is this an issue that was already there?
                  91 LQ1 GP GT

Comment

It has 120k and its a new issue:/

Comment

I'm in Toronto, k here is kilometers, I'm going to assume that you're referring to miles as in 120,000 miles, 200,000kms?

If the manifold was not disturbed then the gasket was ready to go. It's just unfortunate that it has presented itself this way.
                      91 LQ1 GP GT

Comment

Yes miles, this car hates me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Scarecrow View Post
                          I got it to start last night. However, lifter on bank 2 ticks, and exhaust is escaping front rear manifold. Sounds like i have a vacuum leak as well
                          Glad it runs.

WHAT YEAR is this? Lifter tick (cold) is addressed in a service bulletin for 1994--earlier engines, with some crossover into 1995 depending on VIN number and car line.

Rear manifold exhaust leak could be several things--or a combination.
                          1. Failed seal between exhaust pipe and manifold. Tightening the bolts could re-seal. The fasteners compress springs that actually seal the joint.
                          2. Broken O2 sensor
                          3. Failed seal between exhaust crossover tube and rear manifold. Tightening bolts could re-seal.
                          4. Cracked or warped manifold.
                          5. Failed exhaust gasket between head and manifold.
                          6. Broken fasteners holding manifold to head.
                          7. Rusted or disconnected/loose EGR plumbing.
                          8. Failed EGR gasket(s).

In particular, the EGR tube is a pain in the ass to get connected properly. Beware. If you take it apart, be sure to clean-out the EGR passages in the intake manifold, too.

The most-hated vacuum leak I had was a broken nipple on the multi-purpose fitting on the right side of the intake manifold. Also supplies vacuum to the MAP sensor. This fitting is different or non-existent on the '94 or 95--newer engines.
                          ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Working...
                          X