3.1 SFI to a 3.4 Questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 SFI to a 3.4 Questions....

Hey guys. I've been all over the internet trying to find out some details on what to do with my baby.

I've had this '95 Grand Prix of mine for a few years, and pumped a hell of alot of money into it. It's always been a nice car, came stock with that special edition Ground effects, and all those goodies. So I just thought I'd make it better and pumped some serious money into it. Picked up a Dynomax Exhaust that was custom bent from the headers back, 18" Boyd Coddington "Smoothie II" Wheels, Toyo Proxes T1R Tires, LED Underbody Kit, Red Neon Interior, Kicker/Polk Sound System, Subtle Red Window Tint, Carbon Fiber Hood, GTC-200 DRAG Adjustable Wing, G2 Combat Body Kit, Lambo Doors, Sparco Fighter series 5 Point racing harness seats, 2 Inch lowering. I've put alot into my baby.

It looks great, but the motor in it has been the stock motor since the car rolled off the line, and at 114 thousand miles, and I think its time for a overhaul. At first, I was wanting a 3.8 with the supercharger. But after talking with the mechanics about mounting it, and getting the computer and wire harness and everything to match, it turned out to be too much of a hassle and too much money. So after talking on some forums, I learned the 3.4 DOHC motor that came in some of the later Grand Prix models were some really good motors. But my cousin told me that any 3.4 and 3.8 were strong motors untill they got pushed hard or got some miles on them and then they weren't worth a penny. And added to the fact I was told the Exhaust and motor mounts are the same so little is required to put them in, and I won't have to change around my exhaust system I just had custom bent for it.

I'm in the process of tracking down a 3.4. Its difficult, as I live in the boonies. And the local Chevy garage said the 3.4 has been discontinued from GM, so no more 3.4s from the Chevy garage. So I'm looking around Ebay and Advanced Auto for one.

In terms of the motor, I want the engine to match the car. Pretty, fast, and mean. Can't tell you how many times people have seen my car and asked me what I had under it then laughed when I told them. Its kinda embarassing. But I take it the specs on the 3400 are 195HP/212TQ from what I was told. Its a stepup even stock from what the car is running now. But I would like to crack the motor apart, and really customize it.

I'm not a Top-end 160 miles an hour type of guy. I've seen too many of my friends hurt and killed over the past years from racing and wrecks. Myself, I'm a 0-60 set you back in the seat type of guy.

But here is where I am running into a standstill. I'm no V6 motor head, and neither is any of my folks. There all used to the 1960 and 70 V8 craze and not too all knowing on the V6s. So, if and when I can get ahold of a decent 3400, what should I look for in terms of beefing it up. Would boring a V6 over be any good, adding different rods, Flat top pistons, etc? In terms of cash, its not too much of a concern, as long as I can piece together the motor, pay for the parts and labor, and have it all run just between 2-4 grand, I'll be happy.

And I know you don't see alot of the 6's running Turbos, but superchargers more often than not. So in a 6 would adding a turbo or a supercharger crank out better Horse in the lower RPM range. As I said I'm not too crazy about flyin down the road and slammin face first into a tree...haha.

If you could give me a list of modifications that you've done yourself or just know of and a place where I can order them off the net, or just run down the local shop and see what they can do, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by Stonewall; 12-01-2006, 12:50 PM. Reason: Typos

There is a difference between a 3.4 DOHC and a 3400. The 3400 would drop right in but your biggest setback is your 95 ECM. There is no way to tune it so you will need to do something about that. The 3.4 DOHC would need a different wiring harness for the different computer. If you want low end torque, you don't want the DOHC engine.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

this guy sounds like a complete tool, hey, can we see a pic of your 'fighter pilot' grand prix? Lambo doors.....yeah right. you should buy a Scion or Lancer jackass.
      95 MC Z34 Black
      Running strong with new engine, transmission, brakes and suspension.

Comment

Im sure calling him a jackass will really make him want to post pics. Id like to see it myself, even if its not something I would want to do to my own car.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
        X