This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 284 Getrag + 1996 DOHC Lumina? PICS 56K BEWARE

I joined here a long time ago, I have a 1996 Chevrolet Lumina 3.4 DOHC with a slipping transmission, the car has only 110kms. So, whats the only logical thing to do? The MTX Getrag swap, since i heard it is night and day comparison betweent he automatic.
    I was wondering if a 284 getrag transmission would work electrically with my 1996 Lumina. I know everything will bolt up, and a buddy of mine over at W-body.com figures we can do it in about a weekend. I just happened to wonder about the electrical issues, since a MTX was not used in anything after '93. So, I have a transmission lined up, and a good motor. If this will work the Lumina will be 5 speed. Any input?

Here are some pics of my car!

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 3.4 DOHC
    1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34

should bolt up fine. you will need to delete a few codes in the computer that control the auto trans. you shouldnt really need any electronics to the manual. you can disable codes/tune/tweek ect the 1996 ecu via the data link port and a laptop using HP Tuners/Digital Horsepower software. Sweet program. shouldnt have problems swaping it once everything is in physically.

S
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

I'm using a 282 with my LQ1 right now. It's in a Fiero, but fairly similar comparison. You will have to wire the VCC sensor to your speedometer somehow. The 284 probably puts out 2000pps and the computer needs 4000pps as well as the speedo. Small obsticle to get around, but be forwarned. You'll also need to add a backup switch and wire a clutch engagement switch. The computer can handle all of this.

For someone to code your PCM: Talk with Ryan Gick at www.gmtuners.com/
      He is an amazing guy that can work with exactly what you need. Great service and he'll mail the prom to you. Pop it in and go. It might be slightly harder being OBDII, but I think he can work with that too now.
      Getaway cars:
      1986 Fiero SE | 2.0 OHC Turbo/Intercooled | MT2 5 Speed - 1994 Dodge Stealth | 6G72 SOHC 12v | F4a33 - 1999 Ford Windstar | 3.8 Essex | AX4S -1998 Lexus SC400 | 4.0 DOHC 1UZ | A650E

Comment

Hey I am selling a NIB 9lb Aluminum Fidenza Flywheel for $250 +Shipping. This would help with your build.
        I dont know what this means but "ASS HATS" is funny

Comment

you should fix that vacuum line first, and change your fluid with some ac delco dextron 6 . that just might solve your slipping problem.

Jake
          GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

How do You R&R Spark Plugs I have a 1996 Lumina LS 3.4L DOHC rears how do get at them Remove the Plenum? Any help would be very Appreciated

Comment

You resurrect a six-year-old transmission thread to ask about spark plugs?

Yank out the three easy ones in front. Pull the weatherstrip at the back of the engine compartment, grind the sheetmetal rib it attaches to for access (if needed) and use a long extension on the spark plug socket. I have rocked the engine forward by popping the dogbone and pulling with an OTC-brand engine moving tool, but that's kind of optional on my '92 and '93. If the '96 body style is substantially different in terms of plug removal, I don't know about it.
              Last edited by Schurkey; 05-07-2013, 04:10 AM.
              ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

I believe on the 96 and 97 engines plenum removal is required because of the short cables and due to the plenum size.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                X