3.4 drive sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 drive sprocket

Has anyone had to replace the drive sprocket on a 1995 3.4 when changing the timing belt? Mine looks worn, but I can't tell for sure.........I'm talking about the sprocket right about the crank, not the cam or idler sprockets. Please let me know.

Thanks, Dean

Worn? Its metal so it shouldn't be too bad. I have pulled it before but never replaced it for a new one. Take a pic of it if you can. It may just been to be cleaned up.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      Worn? Its metal so it shouldn't be too bad. I have pulled it before but never replaced it for a new one. Take a pic of it if you can. It may just been to be cleaned up.
      I rechecked it today, I think it is fine after closer inspection. What drives this gear though???? I am new to these engines and curious if it is chain driven from the crank to this gear????

Comment

Correct, there is a timing chain from the crank to the dummy cam (where the pushrod cam would go, still needed for the oil pump drive). This is where the belt drive gear is attached.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
          Correct, there is a timing chain from the crank to the dummy cam (where the pushrod cam would go, still needed for the oil pump drive). This is where the belt drive gear is attached.
          Thanks for the info. Now all I need is for this damn spark plug in #2 to free up. Just dowsed it down with PB Blaster. I will let it sit overnight and see how it feels in the morning. If it's still tight I am just going to leave it in....the other 5 plugs looked good. I just got the car and it had a broken timing belt...parts are ordered and will be here this Friday......any thoughts on the seized spark plug?

Comment

The first DOHC I bought was with a spark plug that was hit by the piston and did some damage to the piston. Aluminum isn't forgiving to stripped threads so I would leave it alone if its still firing. You may have to pull that head to be helicoiled. You need to make sure the pb blaster is out of there though.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
            X