3.4c mods?? Want lots of N/A power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4c mods?? Want lots of N/A power

I'm going to start a 96-97 3.4 build. What mods would you recommend? I will be n/a. thanks!

-GREEN 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - L82/5spd MTX +
    -White 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 97 207DOHC/6SPD MTX +

pretty much if you want look over my car. im getting pretty well tapped out for mods short of paying milzy's price of 1,000 for headers and doing ported heads.

the best thing to buy would be a tuner... the DHP power tuner is the only tuner that will tune a 96 DOHC pcm. and they are stopping production... so if you want one... get it NOW before they are gone. personally my tuner has been the best mod i ever got for the car. much more power, car runs smoother, and much better mpg as well.

if you havea choice do the 97 so that you can have the better trany 4t65 vs the 4t60. the 65 is a stronger trany. but again if you really want to get past mildly moded you will deff need a tuner... if not you are waisting power that you could be making. the stock computer settings hinder power production. i dont know exact dyno #'s but my gustimation is the following.. if the car has 215hp stock then at about 230 the computer will start pulling power in the form of spark reduction. even with my tuning i notice a hesitation i was fighting and found that a table that shouldnt have even been affecting me was... (torque managment setting for low speed abuse mod... tabe was active when at 40+ when it should have been inactvie past 15mph) this coupled with lower shift points, and how vauge the stock fueling is to accout for pressure, alt, temp, and fuel changes.... and you can get an idea on how much power there is to gain.

on a side note... many people say that these motors lack low end. although most DOHC engines show their max power at upper this doesnt mean they need or are slugs down low... our reputation is that we are slugs down low.... after some time of tuning i developed a new spark table for the DOHC. i have sent it to a friend who also has a 96 dohc and his results were the same. the missing low end is just about gone.

ofcourse these still wont pull like a 3800 down low, but again when the 3800 falls off this motor is just waking up and unleashes its power.

I will list the mods i have done that i have felt the most gains from most gain to least:
    -Tuner
    -Ported TB, Intake manifolds
    -Gear swap, and tire change
    -FWI (air intake)
    -Full exhaust

hope this helps... feel free to IM me if you have additional questions

Comment

I was thinking more internal engine. Will stiffer valve springs or shims make much of a difference? Also it says you have l67 injectors.. I though the DOHC had special twin stream injectors...?

Comment

in addition to above

also i am assuming you will have some1 do the work, so if you can do it yourself all the better

internal.......

i have never measured the gains or anything but there is an internal thing you can do that reduce rotating mass which may net power.

you have a 96 gp i take it? try finding a set of cam carriers from a 97, they use the much smaller and much lighter 33mm lifters. i cannot recall since it has been a while since i weighed them but they are either 10 or 20 grams lighter than the 35mm lifters that you have times 24 equals some weight.

they are somewhat hard to find depending on where you live but i actually have 1 spare set i am not doing anything with. if you want i would let them go with lifters for $100.

a stall converter- night and day difference there. i had a 3k stall on my z34 back in the day and it was awesome b/c it puts you right in the powerband. just make sure you get a lockup stall and it will be streetable.

I sold the stall i used to have but i still have the balanced flexplate that was with it. i am running amanual and have no use for it. it is a little bit lighter than stock, if you want it i could let it go for $30 shipped.

on the valve springs, use the earlier ones from 91-94 as they are stiffer than yours and shim them for good measure. on stock cams you should be able to kiss any kind of valve float goodbye.

port the heads. kind of pricey but well worth it.

port the manifolds. should pick up a little something and shouldn't cost much.

i have a 94+ udp i could sell for $125 shipped since they are out of production, although i was thinking of hanging onto it b/c i know a cnc guy that can copy them.

headers if you have the change, why not. the uncoated ones are $7xx i think.

be4 i give an official recommendation, what's your budget???
        The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

about the injectors... i originally did them cause i didnt want to pay the $100+ for one injector when i couldnt even find where my bad injector(s) were. when you can pick up stock l67 injectors for about $50.... you just cant beat it. the DOHC injectors are spaced some : : vs the l67 : : but more of a star... like twist it 45* i have had no issues iwth them. i actually think they may have helped me.

Comment

Ok then, the l67 injectors will work without any modification? Just put them in with stock 3.4 orings and thats it?

I'm wanting engine mods. I know intake, exhaust but I'm looking for stuff I can only do while the engines out/apart. So far I've got: 91-93 springs, l67 injectors, ported heads/intake.. Is there anyway to do performance cam timing without a cam timing tool?

Comment

crank scraper, stall converter, fdr swap, lsd, valve job. MSD DIS4 and Nitrous.
              The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

the L67 injectors work without a problem. i have 42.5# injectors for a L67 in my car and work without a problem. You will need to retune the ECU for the larger injectors i am sure. if your building a N/A motor you shouldnt need bigger injectors tho.... your stock 24# injectors should be sufficient for any N/A setup you will do.

S
                Shane "RedZMonte"
                2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Out with the l67 injectors then.. My engine blew a headgasket. I'm wanting to build it up n/a then eventually in a couple of years turbo it. But for right now I just want alot of n/a power.

And.. whats a valve job?

Comment

Another question.. Are there any differences between cams throughout the years?

Comment

a valve job is when you get your heads rebuilt. They place will tear your head apart and then check everything and replace what necessary. Normally you will have a 3 angle valve job, cleaned, new valve seals, (make sure they are viton, not crap. Fel-Pro uses viton) and springs if you really need them. i know I wanted to replace my springs, they wanted 10 a piece. that would have been 250, plus the head rebuild. i would have been at like 600 just for a stock rebuild. My spgins and valves were in good condition, so I am just using stock. Lifters are a good thing to have. i am using the lightweight ones. if I could go back I would have kept the stock ones, these click like a mother. Depending on what you want out of the motor, you might have to get some shit custom made. The valves on these cars have sodium filled exhasut valves. They are around 35 a piece. The stock valves are strong enough. I can give you a full list of parts I used. I spent around 5 grand on my motor, plus the turbo.

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

Comment

The stock valves are not sodium filled.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yes, the stock exhasut valves are sodium filled. I can post the page fromt the gm manual.

Comment

How many stock exhaust valves have you cut up?
                            Ben
                            60DegreeV6.com
                            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I am going by whats in my car. I have a stock valve that was burnt, when I went to replace it, they told me at GM and showed me that it says on their computer "SODIUM EXHASUT VALVES". Also my Gm manual says, exhasut valves are special- Sodium filled.

Comment

Working...
                              X