1994 OBD 1.5 to OBD II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 OBD 1.5 to OBD II

I'm doing an OBD-II swap in the GTP this week. I've got the engine bay harness, and computer, from a 96 Monte Z34. What do I need to do to the interior harness for this swap? Can I just repin the C100 and change a few things on the diagnostic connector, or do I HAVE to swap in the OBD-II Interior harness? I'm in the middle of a 5-speed swap too, so I've already got the interior gutted.
    1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Special Edition, Black 5-Speed
    1995 BMW 540i, Alpineweiss-III, 6-Speed
    1995 BMW 540i, Schwarz-II, Automatic
    2004 Honda 919, Light Silver Metallic, 6-Speed

Actually... this would really belong better in the computer related forum... Feel free to move this, mods.

Comment

question: why are you using the 96 PCM? its junk so far as tuning is concerned. a 97 monte 3.4 PCM would probably be better suited since its for the same motor, tranny, and can be tuned
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

He *should* be able to plug in a 97 ECM later once he gets it all going I would think.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

i'm sure, but why get it all mounted and running just to replace it quickly?

oh well, i guess using the 96PCM you would at least be able to confirm everything is working
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Maybe he only had access to a 96 car to pull the stuff for the conversion at the time?
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

likely, but 97-up PCMs are very easy to come by these days.

oh well, the information is out there
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

D.O.H.C. has a '94 z and did a '96 swap. you shouldnt have to do anything to the interior harness. all the changes are on the engine harness. you will most likely have to bypass the "passkey" because the '94s don't have the chiped key.

S
                Shane "RedZMonte"
                2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                  Maybe he only had access to a 96 car to pull the stuff for the conversion at the time?
                  Nailed it in one. The u-pull-it yard I go to is 1996 and older only, but their prices are untouchable. I got a complete 284 swap, minus cables, for 60 dollars, and I got a complete OBD-II Harness and computer for 40 bucks.

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
                  D.O.H.C. has a '94 z and did a '96 swap. you shouldnt have to do anything to the interior harness. all the changes are on the engine harness. you will most likely have to bypass the "passkey" because the '94s don't have the chiped key.

S
                  My 94 does have a chipped key, actually. It's got the PASS-KEY II system, with a resistor plug in the key. Did the 96 cars use a different system?

Comment

Great prices.

The 96 and 97 harnesses are very similar. The biggest difference seems to be the transmission (though I would have to take another close look at the specs to be sure). The interior harness shouldn't need work except for the OBD2 connector. You will need to rearrange some of the C100 pins.

I made a spreadsheet for this swap a while ago, but still haven't done mine.

RedZMonte has done this swap.

Tim
                    1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                    325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Buying bve32k's already done and possibly pretuned obd2 harness and pcm deal would be the most easiest and cheapest. That's my $00000.02.
                      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

If you get a 97 ECM, it will be set up for the 4T65e. If you have a 4t60e in your car then I cant see how the 97 ECM will work for you. Maybe for the engine control but not for the transmission. Correct me if Im wrong.
                        -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mrl390 View Post
                          If you get a 97 ECM, it will be set up for the 4T65e. If you have a 4t60e in your car then I cant see how the 97 ECM will work for you. Maybe for the engine control but not for the transmission. Correct me if Im wrong.
                          i thought 97 was still 4t60e???
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                            i thought 97 was still 4t60e???
                            The 60-E came in the 96's and then in 97+ 3100 cars. 97 3.4L DOHC Monte came with the 65-E.

Comment

Originally posted by bve32k View Post
                              The 60-E came in the 96's and then in 97+ 3100 cars. 97 3.4L DOHC Monte came with the 65-E.
                              problem solved, get a 97 3100 PCM, and have it tuned for a 3.4..

is there a problem with that?
                              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                              X