• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dohc mods

yeah i know there are a few threads on this but i have some questions

first of what are some bang for your buck mods

i have exhaust and cold air intake done
    i have new suspension
    im getting a set of intake to port already but i want some info on that mainly the best way to port them

i also what to know is it really worth my while to switch to the 96-97 style and i also heard once that those wont clear the stb is that true, also if i do this whats the best tb to get

my mechanic said he swapped in a 97 engine but it has a 94 plenum on it so it must just be 97 from the heads down

question for robert what exactly would i have to change to go obd1 (yeah i know what you have said before but i just want to get a ben chip and call it a day)

so what else is there without spending much money and having to tear into anything

also i want to do 6/6 timing how hard is it and how long does it take?

If you are getting 96-97 intake manifolds and you still want to port them, try gasket matching the upper and lowers and smoothing the runners out as far up as you can reach. Also try gasket matching the TB arm and where it bolts to the plenum and smooth that up as well. Then smooth the opening between the throttle body and the TB arm. Just use a 96-97 TB, I dont know if any other TBs will work. Get the fuel rail and injectors from the 96-97 as well. Someone else may be able to tell you exactly what parts you need for the swap.

I dont know how much the swap and porting will do you if you are still running the older heads. The newer (96-97) heads flow better than the older heads, but I dont know if you want to get into swapping those.

I believe there is a write up on the timing somewhere on this site.
    -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Jake91 View Post
      would i have to change to go obd1 (yeah i know what you have said before but i just want to get a ben chip and call it a day)
      you would need to grab a PCM from any 91-93 LQ1 car.

and a MAP sensor since the 94-95 3.4 didn't have one, just MAF. (it would also be productive to completely remove the MAF since it would no longer be used and it's a restriction to airflow).

and probably swapping a few pins around in the PCM connectors(since the 91-93 and the 94-95 use the same connectors), nothing too bad though. i'll get the specifics of it in a minute.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

wiring update

i need to go through a second time, but holy hell, it would just be easier to grab a 91-93 engine harness with this kind of work.
        Attached Files
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by mrl390 View Post
          If you are getting 96-97 intake manifolds and you still want to port them, try gasket matching the upper and lowers and smoothing the runners out as far up as you can reach. Also try gasket matching the TB arm and where it bolts to the plenum and smooth that up as well. Then smooth the opening between the throttle body and the TB arm. Just use a 96-97 TB, I dont know if any other TBs will work. Get the fuel rail and injectors from the 96-97 as well. Someone else may be able to tell you exactly what parts you need for the swap.

I dont know how much the swap and porting will do you if you are still running the older heads. The newer (96-97) heads flow better than the older heads, but I dont know if you want to get into swapping those.

I believe there is a write up on the timing somewhere on this site.
          my mechanic said he had gotten the engine from a 97 lumina

so he must have just got everything but the top stuff because everything from the cam carriers down should be 97
          Last edited by Jake91; 03-10-2010, 03:16 AM.

Comment

I have two (2) almost complete 96-97 setups for sale. I say most because some of the stuff has been used by me over the years to fix/replace some of my own parts. But the big stuff is there. UIM, LIM, Cam covers, TB arm, TB, heater tube, brackets, bolts, hoses, vacuum lines, some of the harness, maybe even a Fuel rail or two, I have to check. No injectors, no coils, and you will have to buy some stuff, gaskets and such. If you want, ill lay it out on the floor, and take pics.

I am looking to get $150 for each "kit". Plus shipping.

Rob
            88 T-top Fiero, LS376 w/ F40 (6 speed)

Comment

thanks but i can get it all for around 60 if i go to the yard on half off day and use my 15% off coupon

Comment

Working...
              X