PwrTuner and 1997 DOHC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PwrTuner and 1997 DOHC ?

So im under the impression that DHP PwrTuner doesnt support the 97 LQ1... But i am able to open and edit the 97DOHC bin... Anyone use pwrtuner with the 97 LQ1?
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Are you able to actually make and save changes? Try something like fuel cutoff rpm set to 2000 and flash it, see if it took. If so, you are tuning!
    Jeff Ianitello
    Engineered Performance
    Atlanta, GA.

Comment

If you can open the bin then its supported. Files that are not supported simply will not open end of story.

Got Lope?
      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

well Ill be damned! i have allways been told the 1997's wont work but it does..... HMMMM rebuild 4T60-E or swap to 4T65-E HD?

S
        Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
          well Ill be damned! i have allways been told the 1997's wont work but it does..... HMMMM rebuild 4T60-E or swap to 4T65-E HD?

S
          or buy one of my 4T60/65 hybrid transmissions with EP-LSD.

I have been tuning my 96 bonne with the Powertuner (1997 PCM) for three years. I didn;t know the LQ1 was part of the package, but I guess it is. If you use the 4T65E, you will need to use a calibration that supports it, but you won't find one to run the 3400 DOHC with the 4T65E.
          Jeff Ianitello
          Engineered Performance
          Atlanta, GA.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacjeff View Post
            or buy one of my 4T60/65 hybrid transmissions with EP-LSD.
            Some day... I will take you up on that...

But for now I have to stick to what I can afford. I have yet to really break it yet... other than wear out the teeth of the 2nd drum, and If the hybrid you makes swaps to the 65e style reverse shell then that may be the route I need to go; that is if I cause the same wear over the next year or so.

Got Lope?
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
              Some day... I will take you up on that...

But for now I have to stick to what I can afford. I have yet to really break it yet... other than wear out the teeth of the 2nd drum, and If the hybrid you makes swaps to the 65e style reverse shell then that may be the route I need to go; that is if I cause the same wear over the next year or so.
              The second drum, along with a plethora of other parts, is part of my hybrid unit. There is alot of machine work involved, too. It's a good one! And I'm the only one doing it. (pat on one's own back, ha, ha!)
              Jeff Ianitello
              Engineered Performance
              Atlanta, GA.

Comment

Some 97 3.4 DOHC used the 4T65-E. I use HPTuners for my 97 DOHC computer.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                  Some 97 3.4 DOHC used the 4T65-E. I use HPTuners for my 97 DOHC computer.
                  You know what? I do remember that now. I saw actual transmission codes and 3.42 ratio (33/37) chain sprockets listed for 97 only, but the only use of the the 3400 dohc in 97 was the Monte and Lumina and neither used the -65 that I have ever seen.
                  Jeff Ianitello
                  Engineered Performance
                  Atlanta, GA.

Comment

Just check the bin, does it have pressure and shift time tables? My 1997 Venture one does, and I'm only assuming since it has those tables if I can figure out what pins would control the trans then I could add the 65e in my car.

And Jeff, I can only imagine what needs to be machined to fit.

But at the same time thats one thing that does worry me. I've worked on a circle track car for about 7 years now, and I've seen my fair share of mixing and matching transmission parts to get a better 2nd gear ratio, or to try a special 4 speed with different ratios as well, and 9 times out of 10 the mixing and matching results in broken parts. I'm not saying thats what happens with your setups, but the whole idea just brings that to my mind.

Hence why I will wait till I blow the shit out of what I have, or just burn it up before I start mixing and matching. Hell I already took the plunge and did the 3500 top end on a 3400... thats a step toward that right... LOL

Got Lope?

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                      Just check the bin, does it have pressure and shift time tables? My 1997 Venture one does, and I'm only assuming since it has those tables if I can figure out what pins would control the trans then I could add the 65e in my car.
                      Yes, but you would also need a compatible calibration file, such as a 99 U-van 3400/4T65E, btu that would also include some communication problems via pcm/bcm that did not exist in 97... as you say below, mixing and matching can result in many unintended consequences!

And Jeff, I can only imagine what needs to be machined to fit.

But at the same time thats one thing that does worry me. I've worked on a circle track car for about 7 years now, and I've seen my fair share of mixing and matching transmission parts to get a better 2nd gear ratio, or to try a special 4 speed with different ratios as well, and 9 times out of 10 the mixing and matching results in broken parts. I'm not saying thats what happens with your setups, but the whole idea just brings that to my mind.
                      All trial and no error, that's my way of doing things.

Hence why I will wait till I blow the shit out of what I have, or just burn it up before I start mixing and matching. Hell I already took the plunge and did the 3500 top end on a 3400... thats a step toward that right... LOL
                      You still don't have enough power to hurt a good 4T60E. They are a very good transmission. Be sure to run an auxilliary cooler with a large capacity and overfill the transmission by one qt. Also, use Ford Type F/FA fluid.
                      Last edited by pontiacjeff; 04-16-2010, 10:34 PM. Reason: trade secret revealed (ha!ha!)
                      Jeff Ianitello
                      Engineered Performance
                      Atlanta, GA.

Comment

the 1997 Z34 Monte does have a 4T65-E and does have shift tables for the trans. im supprised it tunes the 97.. Good news for me
                        Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post

S
                          The 97 4T65 in the monte is allmost bullet prof. Iv been beating the crap out of my reman with my blower now for 2.5 years of daily driving vs the 60 na that I couldnt get 1 year out of. 4 Trans in 50K miles. Im a violent offender.

Overfilling 2qts and royal purple atf are my secret.
                          Yes dhp with do 96 and 97
                          hp only can do 97
                          No 96 you can not change line preshure
                          97 bin is double in size of the 96 bin. They changed every thing and it has every table that the 97 gtp has. Including performance shift mode that is disabled but can be enabled and set up. The 97 swap is an all around good thing.
                          Last edited by Dave96z34; 06-03-2010, 01:01 AM.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacjeff View Post
                            You still don't have enough power to hurt a good 4T60E. They are a very good transmission. Be sure to run an auxiliary cooler with a large capacity and overfill the transmission by one qt. Also, use Ford Type F/FA fluid.
                            Already got a good cooler, and I've always topped it off 1qt over. However I've moved away from ford F fluid... I did that once and I had issues with almost all of my plastic thrust washers burning up, and I killed a 1-2 roller sprag real fast (stock style, not borg warner one) ever since then I've gone back to dextron. And this time per recommendation of Raybestos, I'm running Valvoline Dextron 6 again. I've been running that for 3 years now and even with the wear I did have in this trans,(most from just abuse) everything else survived very well including all the washers and such.

Dave96z34 I have yet to do that performance shift, but I really want to turn that on so I can have some reasonable shift tables when driving around but at the push of a button I can bump them up more aggressive.

Got Lope?

Comment

Its good to have also if you go to the track so you dont have to change 3 tables to change a shift point.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Working...
                              X