cam timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam timing question

i wanted to know if you dont have to change the belt and just want to retime the cams are you able to do it with out removeing the plenum and all that stuff or will you have to do that no matter what

You have to do that no matter what. 94 and newer can chagne the timing without pulling the belt, but you still have to pull the covers.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

i have a 94 explain please

Comment

91-93 had lock-rings on the cam-gears that have to be removed/loosened to adjust timing. Sometimes you even have to pull the cam carriers to get it done..
        Tom...

Comment

And on 94-97, they used collets. All you have to do on those is loosen the bolt and give 'em a good smack with a dead blow hammer, or a 2x4 and a hammer from the back side. That's why you don't have to pull the belt on a 94+ and why you do on a 91-93.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

cool how long of a job is it to retime a 94

Comment

It depends on how familiar you are with doing a timing belt. The more familiar you are, the less time it takes.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                It depends on how familiar you are with doing a timing belt. The more familiar you are, the less time it takes.

Hahahaha . . . . Oh yeah, I hate that question myself. No insults intended, guys. Sometimes when a customer asks me if a certain job is difficult to do I am at a bit of a loss as to what answer I should give. If it is somebody that I know has the skills I just give a flat out "welllllllll, it'll probably take you longer than me 'cause I've done several hundred of 'em". When it's somebody trying to needle me for a time estimate 'cause they pulled into my place with fifteen minutes to go before their manicure appointment I freak 'em out with a naughty little "I have no idea, the hands know what they're doing and I just make sure they get to work"

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Working...
                X