Turbo Or Supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Or Supercharger

Should I turbocharge, twin-turbocharge, or supercharge my '95 cutlass supreme sl? It has a LQ1 in it.

check out the boost section if your serious. TT doesnt really make sense in your application. turbo is the most feasible option if your gong to do it.

S
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Plus, turbo lag is nice for establishing traction before the power comes on, where as with a roots style s/c, you have power now and have to take it easy off the line to hold traction. Then it falls on it's face at high rpms since it's out of its efficiency range.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
        Plus, turbo lag is nice for establishing traction before the power comes on, where as with a roots style s/c, you have power now and have to take it easy off the line to hold traction. Then it falls on it's face at high rpms since it's out of its efficiency range.
        exact story of the L67/4T65E... except you forgot transmission breakage due to boost instantly
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
          exact story of the L67/4T65E... except you forgot transmission breakage due to boost instantly
          In a perfect world there is no transmission breakage...

Or L67s...
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Turbo. Only sc thats worth running is a whipple. F the Eaton

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Neither, big squeeze all motor FTW!

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

I would also have to say turbo, unless you find a local shop that's willing to do a centrifugal supercharger (like Vortech, Paxton, etc). A roots type supercharger will stick through the hood if you try to put it between the cylinder heads. Of all of the options, turbos generally make the most power and torque, but centrifugal superchargers are the easiest to tune and easiest on the engine.

Tim
                1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

My turbo "piping Kit" will be up for sale sometime in the near future. Im building tubular manifolds and replacing what i have. It would be alot easier then having them built from scratch... It does have a T4 flange on it so you would need to run a larger turbo or change the flange. If your interested PM me.

S
                  Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
                    My turbo "piping Kit" will be up for sale sometime in the near future. Im building tubular manifolds and replacing what i have. It would be alot easier then having them built from scratch... It does have a T4 flange on it so you would need to run a larger turbo or change the flange. If your interested PM me.

S
                    Wow, that would be nice... save me alot of time and effort... turbo just may be the next step after/if I ever get that getrag 284 in.

P.S. still lookin for pedals and parts...

DG

Comment

Shane,

You making it with a divided T4 flange and 3" downpipe? That would be really nice...

Tim
                      1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I am makin it with a divided T4 and eventually a mandrel dp... 2.5" most likely...
                        Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

I'm working on a TT TDC as we speak..
                          Last edited by Smittro; 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6 View Post
                            Neither, big squeeze all motor FTW!
                            single turbo is all youll need. dont be like this guy his mom obviously forgot to take him off the bottle while he was a toddler. as for transmission breakage zzperformance has a whole line-up of 4t65e upgrade parts. i.e. 4340 chromoly input, output and 4th clutch shafts. also if your blowing your 4t60/4t65 while goin into boost then take it out of overdrive b4 you race if your modded you should be in manual 3rd or (regular drive for the 4t60) anyways while your driving till you get to 55mph or higher or you take more risk of blowing your 4th clutch shaft.

Comment

I've decided to go turbo since the lq1 is a high revving engine. But what kind of turbo should I use?

Comment

Working...
                              X