Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head porting pics (updated, finished pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head porting pics (updated, finished pics)

I did these heads 1300 miles ago, but developed a head gasket leak so its apart again. This time I took more time on the intake side and combustion chamber. I know what I want to do with the exhaust side but I want to test it on a flowbench before I go that extreme.

Ill put more pics up in this directory as I take them. Stock pics should be on the site already, i hope.

Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Re: Head porting pics

Originally posted by SappySE107
    I did these heads 1300 miles ago, but developed a head gasket leak so its apart again. This time I took more time on the intake side and combustion chamber. I know what I want to do with the exhaust side but I want to test it on a flowbench before I go that extreme.

Ill put more pics up in this directory as I take them. Stock pics should be on the site already, i hope.

http://www.60degreev6.com/dohcheads/
    Ha! I was just bout to ask if you had any other head work pics, its like you read my mind. I seem to remember some before/after comparison pics from a while back, I dunno if they were on the 60v6 site or just posted in the old forum. If you know where those pics dissappeared to can you let me know? I got the Beretta (finally!) and the GP is off the road for the winter... (even tho its not winter yet but insurance on 2 cars would suck and I need the beretta for school since the GP is too priceless to be parked here) ...so I'm getting ready to start the work on the new dohc heads. Still got a lot of reading to do (the standard abrasives site is where I've started) and I still have to find a practive aluminum head.

thanks Ben

-john
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

Comment

I might have an extra spare head I could sell you for like 20 bucks. Its a good idea to practice on at least 1 head, if not a couple sets:P

The old pics I had aren't going to be as valuable as the ones I have now. I want to get a stock engine dynoed, and then a ported set the way I do the heads and see what the gains are. Jon has a stock 92 Z34 that would be perfect for such testing, but I dunno about dyno testing or this winter being a good time for it.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

yikes, i have a ton of shit to add to the site for the DOHC engines. I just looked for the pics of the stock heads and they aren't up yet. Ich bin nicht schnell, aber wenn muss bin ich!? AUCH QUATSCH! hehe, um...don't ask, im on coffee.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Just watching one of these car shows this weekend. They ported/polished a head. Polished only the combustion section to prevent carbon build up but the intake section they didnt do anything to it. they said that the air/fuel mixture will linger in the rougher areas longer to ensure a positive richer mixture.

==95GTP

Comment

That is why the intake side on these heads are ported, and then finished rough to keep the boundary layer turbulence in order to prevent/reduce fuel puddling up. Polishing doesn't do a whole lot for preventing carbon buildup. My exhaust ports were polished to a near mirror smooth finish and it has buildup.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Hey I'm not making this up, its just what the dudes on TV said. Dont beleive everything ya see on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107
                I might have an extra spare head I could sell you for like 20 bucks. Its a good idea to practice on at least 1 head, if not a couple sets:P

The old pics I had aren't going to be as valuable as the ones I have now. I want to get a stock engine dynoed, and then a ported set the way I do the heads and see what the gains are. Jon has a stock 92 Z34 that would be perfect for such testing, but I dunno about dyno testing or this winter being a good time for it.
                Let me know if you have that head, $20 bux is cool, hopefully shipping wont be insane. I definetly want to practice before diggin in to the new heads.
                1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
                1994 Corvette
                LT1/ZF6
                2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                3.7/42RLE

Comment

Originally posted by 95gtp
                  Just watching one of these car shows this weekend. They ported/polished a head. Polished only the combustion section to prevent carbon build up but the intake section they didnt do anything to it. they said that the air/fuel mixture will linger in the rougher areas longer to ensure a positive richer mixture.

==95GTP
                  Yeah, it was on Horsepower TV, on TNN this past Saturday. I have it taped from a few weeks ago, and showed it to Ben even though he already knows how to do head porting. They did that set at Wyotech on a set of heads for a drop top Chevelle. I also taped the little segment from there where they took a new Camaro, stock, and dynoed it, changed the fluids to all Royal Purple and got something like 8 or 9 RWHP more with no other changes.

BTW, on another note Ben, I can wait to mod the 92 and dyno it first. Hell, I still have the stock chip in the glove box that I could toss in so that the only mod to the car is a gutted airbox, and a K&N. I really want to get a baseline anyhow. I have heard there is a dyno in South Bend, but have no idea where it is at and how much it costs. I was looking at car covers today, even though I plan on putting it away sometime around Thanksgiving, unless the snow will come before then this year, so there is our window if we want to do it before the car gets parked. Now till Thanksgiving.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Ok, we need a price, and then a baseline stock, with a chip, and then one for the hell of it to see if I can get some more power out of it with more changes.

after that I will think about the heads. It takes so fricken long to port these heads this much. A basic P&P is simple, but when you really start the details it gets tedious.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Now to use the new quick reply, lol.

The heads that will hopefully be going on the 92 will be the 96/7 heads, unless you want to do up a set of 91/5 heads to toss on there to see what the gains are going to be.
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                      Originally posted by Jay Leno
                      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

It would have to be the same style heads to get a fair comparison. Need 96 exhaust manifolds for the other heads anyway.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

blah shmah, wasting time with 91/5 heads. but i guess they are a lot easier to come by, so the info would be more useful to the majority of people on here. and just to throw it off topic, don't rev your motor in N, that's how i broke the rod in my last 3.4, and don't be a jackass and drop the clutch at 4k on a cold motor, that's how i trashed the t-belt on my new 3.4
                          93 Z34 Auto (old, dead, slow, in peices)
                          91 GTP 5spd (older, faster, better)

Comment

So dont be a moron basically? As for your comment of wasting time, you have no idea what the 96 heads do to performance and neither do I, so stop talking about shit you are ignorant on.
                            Ben
                            60DegreeV6.com
                            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Having a bad day?

Comment

Working...
                              X