Machining heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machining heads?

I have the manifolds torn off the GTP at the moment and am thinking I might go ahead and tear the top-end down all the way and replace my trashed valve stem seals and also remove the heads and clean them up a bit (all along with also considering plans to completely rebuild the LQ1 for more hp or just selling it and getting a 'vette).

If I was to do so would it be possible to have the heads machined/milled/whatever-it-is for higher compression? Or would there be problems with valve clearance, poor airflow, timing belt slack, or anything else I haven't thought of? If it's an alright idea, any idea how much can/should I have taken off?

Oh, and Ben, if you read this, I PM'd you about being able to port the heads awhile back. If I was to go ahead and take them off, would you be able to get around to doing this sometime soon?
    Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
    1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Originally posted by jman093 View Post
    I have the manifolds torn off the GTP at the moment and am thinking I might go ahead and tear the top-end down all the way and replace my trashed valve stem seals and also remove the heads and clean them up a bit (all along with also considering plans to completely rebuild the LQ1 for more hp or just selling it and getting a 'vette).

If I was to do so would it be possible to have the heads machined/milled/whatever-it-is for higher compression? Or would there be problems with valve clearance, poor airflow, timing belt slack, or anything else I haven't thought of? If it's an alright idea, any idea how much can/should I have taken off?

Oh, and Ben, if you read this, I PM'd you about being able to port the heads awhile back. If I was to go ahead and take them off, would you be able to get around to doing this sometime soon?

I'm just throwing this out there, but it is NEVER a GOOD idea to shave the heads down for higher compression, if you want higher compression get higher compression pistons, you can run into a lot of issues with shaving heads.

Comment

never a good idea to shave the heads down for higher compression? Well, no, I wouldn't say that exactly. Its not a good idea to do it solely for compression because it doesn't net you much at all. You are looking at about .010" max without making it an interference motor, so I suggest taking off as little as possible to get them flat. If you send the heads to get ported, I can have them milled as well, and if you want, a valve job as well. I can pretty much go through everything and tell you how it looks and what has to be done. I have no porting jobs at all right now so I could jump on it immediately.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
      X