DOHC Performance Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOHC Performance Build

I dropped my spare motor off at a local machine shop this afternoon. The forged 8.5:1 pistons and rods I bought 7 years ago will finally be going in. I also ordered ARP studs for the crank from WOT Tech. I was looking for head studs, but all I could find was one mention of ARP head studs and another of Raceware head studs. I'll have to follow up on those to see what I can find. I also need to follow up on the copper Flatout head gaskets or Gaskets to Go MLS head gaskets. I'll post pictures and more info as I have it.

Tim
    1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
    325 whp 350 lb-ft

I'm not sure what WOT has for the 3.4 DOHC engine, but have you checked out Cometic head gaskets? As for head studs if you can't find any let me know. I can get custom head studs made.

Comment

It looks like ours are the same as the Northstar and they use VW 204-4204 ARP head studs. Two sets on Jegs is $258 shipped.

Next up on the list is seeing if I can find MLS head gaskets that don't take months to make/order.

Tim
      1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
        It looks like ours are the same as the Northstar and they use VW 204-4204 ARP head studs. Two sets on Jegs is $258 shipped.

Next up on the list is seeing if I can find MLS head gaskets that don't take months to make/order.

Tim
        Let us know if you find anything. And what ARP main bearing studs fit an LQ1? I have some ARP rod bolts, but I thought nothing fit the mains right.
        Jesse M.

3x 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
        1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Comment

One of the Fiero guys used MLS gaskets from Gaskets to go. They're overseas. The gaskets looked great, but I'll probably only go that way if I have problems.

I talked with my engine builder about the Flatout RCC copper head gaskets and he advised using stock head gaskets instead. It sounded like copper just isn't meant for the street.

Here is the main stud kit from WOT Tech:

Tim
          325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Nice to hear she is starting to go together. Is it a '96-7 LQ1 or what year motor?

S
            Shane "RedZMonte"
            2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
            1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
            -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
            2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
            1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
            1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
            1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
            1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

It's a 97. I bought it with the complete engine harness and PCM. I also have a 96 harness in case I want to keep my 4T60E for a while.

Tim
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Do a 284 swap I would never go back to the auto I absolutely love the 5 speed. If you need help with the tuning for the 5 speed I can help you there.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave96z34 View Post
                  Do a 284 swap I would never go back to the auto I absolutely love the 5 speed. If you need help with the tuning for the 5 speed I can help you there.
                  I've considered it a few times. You've been tuning your factory 96 computer for the 284?

Tim
                  325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I did it on my 97 set up but 96 will actually be alot easier to do.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Hmm. You've really got me thinking about it. I think I may have found a complete 284 donor car. I already have a built 4T60E, but I was hoping to build a 4T65E-HD I have. I just wasn't looking forward to the expense and trouble of the rebuild.

Tim
                      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I would OBD1 swap long before i ever considered OBD2 for what you want to do. I have a 92 with a 284 and built DOHC with 97 monte computer. Its ok for NA, but id ditch it in a second with boost. OBD1 can do a better job, or megasquirt.

Edit, 91-93, or Nast1 or code 59 or anything along those lines. 94-95 DOHC is just not going to catch on, ever. The MAF tables are setup horribly.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                          I would OBD1 swap long before i ever considered OBD2 for what you want to do. I have a 92 with a 284 and built DOHC with 97 monte computer. Its ok for NA, but id ditch it in a second with boost. OBD1 can do a better job, or megasquirt.

Edit, 91-93, or Nast1 or code 59 or anything along those lines. 94-95 DOHC is just not going to catch on, ever. The MAF tables are setup horribly.
                          OBD 2 works just fine I ran boosted 4 years with out problems. If you feel the need to be special get a haltech EMS.
                          Last edited by Dave96z34; 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I already have both a 96 and 97 harness with computers, an AeroForce Interceptor scan gauge, DHP, and HP Tuners, so at this point it's going to be OBD2. For the 95, the wiring swap doesn't seem too complex.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the new, old parts. Most have been posted before, but threads are worthless without pics. (The turbo in the first picture is a T67 compressor and P-trim T4 turbine with a dual ball bearing center section. It uses the small T04E compressor cover so it will swap directly in place of my current setup. The normal T67 compressor housing is HUGE and would require redoing the entire set of hot and cold turbo piping.)

Wbody meet 011.jpg
                            smallerIMG_2128.jpg
                            smallerIMG_2130.jpg
                            IMG_2132.jpg
                            smallerIMG_2129.jpg
                            IMG_2126.jpg
                            IMG_2125.jpg
                            smallerIMG_2137.jpg
                            smallerIMG_2139.jpg
                            IMG_2138.jpg

Tim
                            Last edited by timg; 02-08-2012, 11:37 PM.
                            325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by Dave96z34 View Post
                              OBD 2 works just fine I ran boosted 4 years with out problems. If you feel the need to be special get a haltech EMS.
                              The difference between just fine and perfect is knowing what a fully programmable setup does vs a limited tuning solution. You could run a carb on a boosted 3.4 DOHC just fine too, and that would be special.

I have nothing more to contribute to this thread, good luck.
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X