No announcement yet.

DOHC Performance Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the length of them? I only know individual part numbers for the 60V6 engines, since there are no kits.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

They are 6.5" long. Stock bolts are only 5.5" long.

Tim
      1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

The studs I have are just over 6" and stick out of the head just enough to get the nuts to fully engage. ARP doesn't make anything in between. I figured 6.5" was going to be too long, now we know.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yeah, where the nut should be isn't even threaded.

Tim
          1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
          325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
            It looks like ours are the same as the Northstar and they use VW 204-4204 ARP head studs. Two sets on Jegs is $258 shipped.

Next up on the list is seeing if I can find MLS head gaskets that don't take months to make/order.

Tim
            hi Tim;
            Want to build one and maybe 2 engines for endurance racing (no flames pls, anyone) and am interested in the BEST head gaskets and at least HOPE to use ARP studs; so I want to be sure about the numbers above; these will fit the 91 block? The VW number is for the studs? What did you find out about head gaskets; what did you decide on? If Cometic already have one that fits I will likely go with them. I have asked and they didn't seem to have a listing for our engine, but might have another that fits?
            Thanks in advance;
            GP
            Last edited by 85-308; 11-10-2012, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I have head and main studs for the 3.4 DOHC. The VW studs did not work for Tim that I am aware of. Cometic does not offer a gasket for the 3.4 DOHC and its going to be well over 500 for a custom set. Nothing else is going to fit unless you don't care about cooling/oil drain back lining up:P
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

hi Ben; I assume I should go look in the store then; (I didn't for some reason);
                I looked at the VW and didn't see how they would be the same but thanks for sending the info quickly; saved me time!

I think I'll settle for a deck and resurface and studs and hope for the best with that. If a head gasket (likely Felpro at that) blows with that arrangement - stock compression ratio - then I guess I'll rail at them! Cometic suggested that head gaskets might be $100 each so that could cover some machine work...?

Comment

I don't think you will have any issues with resurfacing and Felpro gaskets with a stock CR, especially with studs.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

what gaskets are Tim and Shane running? i don't really remember hearing about them having HG issues.
                    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                    Latest nAst1 files here!
                    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I've been running stock gaskets, but for the rebuild I believe I have Felpros. The rebuilt has stopped temporarily. When I tried to time the cams, something was binding. I'm not sure what's having interference issues, so I'll likely need to tear apart most of the motor to find out what's wrong. I'm concerned that by trying to turn over the engine, I may have damaged/bent something. Right now, it looks like spring time before I am able to make any significant progress.

First, I'm going to get my S2000 running again (clutch disc swap, clutch slave swap, new turbo manifold, new intercooler, new BOV, new intercooler piping, AC relocation, plus Borg Warner S300SX FMW turbo). The parts have been building up since I knew my old manifold and downpipe both cracked. I've just finished putting the stock clutch disc back in to replace the SPEC stage 2 disc. It had horrible rattle. Keeping the SPEC PP. The old turbo setup is off.

There is also a good bit of work coming up on my Saab (dedicated drive D1SC, 6L80E, ARH 1 7/8" headers, LS3 heads, L92 intake, LS9 cam), but I can't start that until at least one of my other cars is running reliably.

Tim
                      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

i ran stock HG's.. nothing special.. i had the rear head pulled to fix a leaky dist shaft once so not sure what they put back on... i wanna say it was a stocker.
                        Shane "RedZMonte"
                        2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                        1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                        -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                        2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                        1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                        1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                        1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                        1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                        X