Old Question????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Question????

This has probably been discussed before, but I can't find an answer... Are there any big brake upgrades for the 91-94 lumina Z34s. I was running late to work the other day and was driving pretty hard. My brakes didn't fail but they definatelt got REALLY hot- literally SMOKINNN' (in my best Jim Carey the Mask voice). I already know that rotors are gonna be a must so.... Also during this summer I had new rims on my baby and needed to shave the calipers, install longer wheel studs, and still add a spacer. Not cool cause that left the rims (front) riding on the studs instead of the hub. Would new, upgraded, bigger brakes help?

the late 95 and up 1 and 1.5 gen W-bodies got larger front rotors that will more or less bolt-in if you swap the entire knuckle. i think it's 10.5" vs 11.25"?

the 94 and up 1 and 1.5 gen W-bodies (except for the 94 lumina) got larger, considerably better rear rotors/calipers(for the cars that didn't get drums anyways). also a more or less bolt-on deal if you grab enough parts.

otherwise, a lot of work needs done. i've seen references to F-body and Corvette brakes before.... not sure how much work is required for them though.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

You say you had to shave the calipers to make the rims fit??? If you go to bigger diameter rotors you'll have to go bigger on the rims as well... A guy on this site makes a lot of stuff for 1st gen W-Bodies,,, including BIG brakes (13" I believe),,,, http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/ I don't see the brakes listed, but he has done it,,, for his car....He's on this site,,, I think he goes by DOHC.... A search on this site for OverKill Engineering should turn him up.... He says he'll make anything custom you might need....
      Good luck,,,,
      Tom....

Comment

I've done Powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS pads all around. It helps, but it's not a huge upgrade even with the 11.25" rotors.

Tim
        1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
        325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Mark from http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/ made a kit. and RSM (no longer around) made one but doubt you will find a RSM kit. i would hit up mark to see what he can do if you want more then just a slightly larger/different pad/rotor setup. But newer W-Bodies did get a slightly larger rotor that will work with little work, W-Body.com had a right up on it at one point.
          Shane "RedZMonte"
          2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
          1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
          -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
          2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
          1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
          1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
          1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
          1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
          X