High Feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Feature?

What do we know about the new high feature motors?

I'd like to compile some info on these motors, as I would like to use on in my next motor swap, from what I have seen they look more compact than the 3.4 TDC.

The Known tricky parts:
    Mounts (always a bit tricky to get custom mounts right)
    Engine management
    wiring harness
    Throttle actuation (DBW)

Transmission options:

Saab F40 6 speed (only transverse manual available...) (thanks Caffeine)

Direct injection:

LF1, LFW, alfa 3.2, LLT, LCS, LFX.

Integrated exhaust manifolds:

LFX
    Last edited by ericjon262; 02-11-2013, 01:35 AM.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

If you want a manual transaxle I think the only one that bolts up is an F40 out of a Saab
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Thanks!
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

that answers a bit of it for you:

direct injection = LF1, LFW, alfa 3.2, LLT, LCS, LFX.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I just have trust issues with wikipeidia...

Note the highlighted edits I made to prove a point on fiero.nl...
          Last edited by ericjon262; 02-11-2013, 01:18 AM.

Comment

The local dyno shop says the direct injection PCMs are almost untunable. They did have a stock 5th gen Camaro V6 dyno at around 260 to the wheels with an auto though.
            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I can see it now, Cummins ecm swap
              88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboGTU View Post
                I can see it now, Cummins ecm swap
                too bad there's no spark control...

Comment

Nothing MSD or home brewed stand alone ignition can't handle. The Cummins ecm was more of a joke. But if its injectors are the same as diesel common rail like the late Cummins, duramax, Isuzu, then its not far fetched. But one thing to remember, this type of injector can fail catastrophic. Any dust particles or rust can ruin a injector and their not cheap. They can go by missifing or having high return where you can't even start it. Then there's when they stick open and inject all the time and wash off a cylinder or hydro lock. I work on diesels like those all day.
                  I'd stick with port injection but if money is not an issue the by all means.
                  88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

bringing this back, anyone know of performance parts for these?

Comment

The transmission is from the '09+ Saab 9-3 with 2.8 turbo.

Trifecta claims to be able to set up a stock computer for swap use.

Rcheee is using DBW V8's in Fieros, so you know the pedal sensor can't be hard.

It is much more compact and lighter than the TDC.

Obviously custom headers aren't going to work well on the LFX.
                      Current:
                      \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
                      \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
                      \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
                      \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

Originally posted by Will'sFiero View Post
                        The transmission is from the '09+ Saab 9-3 with 2.8 turbo.

Trifecta claims to be able to set up a stock computer for swap use.

Rcheee is using DBW V8's in Fieros, so you know the pedal sensor can't be hard.

It is much more compact and lighter than the TDC.

Obviously custom headers aren't going to work well on the LFX.
                        do you have weight specs on the HF engines? I'm curious as to just how heavy they are.

Comment

Probably slightly heavier than a 3500. I can't imagine the VCT system adding more than 15-20 lbs.
                          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                            do you have weight specs on the HF engines? I'm curious as to just how heavy they are.
                            They're pretty darn light.
                            I've weighed a Northstar long block at 310 lbs... I'd expect a HF engine to be lighter than that.
                            Current:
                            \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
                            \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
                            \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
                            \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

Tuning has been added to HPTuners for these, but I would probably go with an aftermarket ECM instead if you use a manual transmission.

Tim
                              1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Working...
                              X