Going for 300whp NA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going for 300whp NA

I have bought a 96gtp that had bad heads from the valves being bent by the broken timing belt. I have since gotten another set of heads surfaced and pressure tested. I have ported and gasket matched both sides of the heads.

As I was thinking about the job ahead of me of replacing said heads I thought I'd also throw on my ported lower manifold and custom short runner upper plenum with a northstar 75mm throttle body.

Then I started researching and all I can find out is that most people go boosted when they want to get power from these motors. So me having a love for these motors but not wanting to be like everyone else, have decided to build a NA one just to see how much a person can get out of one.

I have a set of SLR reground cams and will be putting those into a set of 97 cam carriers, and milzy has emailed me back saying that he does still offer 3.4 Dohc headers. So next month when my taxes get back I will be ordering them. I will also be ordering hptuners as then I can tune my Fiero (also 3.4 Dohc) and my Gtp.
    I have a FFP UDP, and I have quoted a set of 11 to 1 high compression pistons out from je pistons ( and can get them pretty cheap because I know some of the people who actually make them). I will also be balancing and lightening the whole rotating assembly.

I'm hoping to get 300whp with this setup. Through a 4t65e trans.

Just thought I'd post this and keep it updated as there doesn't seem to be too much activity on any other topic around here
    Last edited by 02dohc; 02-02-2014, 11:04 PM.

In for results, and I hope you make your goal.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Oooo.... this should be interesting.
      sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
      - Ben

Comment

300 crank, i can see that, but through the wheels(and with a 4T60E), that will be the tougher portion. the maximum rated shift speed for the 60E is 6,250RPM(and high RPM shifts do seem to piss them off so easily), so ideally, you'll have the engine completely wrung out by then.

just something to keep in mind.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Would u happen to know max shift rpm on the 4t65hd

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Comment

i'm seeing references for:

1-2 6500
            2-3 6250
            3-4 6000

but i really don't see why there would be a difference, or at least much of a difference. the 60 and 65 are quite similar in this aspect.
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck, oh and whatcha doin for an exhaust setup?
              Firebird: The beta version
              sigpic

Comment

What are the cam specs?

You have the port flow to do it but it's going to take quite a bit of cam and compression to use that power potential.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Pump gas?
                  Firebird: The beta version
                  sigpic

Comment

Very cool. I'm looking forward to hearing more. Good luck!

Tim
                    1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                    325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Can specs are
                      Intake Exhaust
                      Lift. .396. .411
                      Duration 272 280
                      Open 26° 70°
                      Close 66° 30°

It will be running on e85 fuel.

Exhaust system will be milzy headers, to 3" downpipe with no cat (glass pack where cat is) Then y'd to dual 2.5" into flow master mufflers and then out stock tips

Comment

Oh and superdave the compression on the pistons are 11 to 1

Comment

Originally posted by 02dohc View Post
                          It will be running on e85 fuel.

Exhaust system will be milzy headers, to 3" downpipe with no cat (glass pack where cat is)
                          Originally posted by 02dohc View Post
                          Oh and superdave the compression on the pistons are 11 to 1
                          You'd better re-think 11:1 compression with E-85. 13:1, maybe.

Better not let the Feds catch you without a catalytic converter.
                          ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

I don't need to care about the feds. We don't do testing up here. I don't know of anyone that has any modded car that actually runs a cat.

Comment

Nor do I.
                              '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X